Home Page

How much food?

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
How much food?
« on: September 25, 2016, 12:13:03 PM »
I frequently see the question: "how much food should I store?".

Here is an way to judge what you will need.

The pioneers on the Oregon Trail, from Missouri to Oregon, needed the following, PER PERSON:

Quoted from this article: http://preparednessadvice.com/food_storage/foods-carried-on-the-oregon-trail/
The recommended amount of food to take per adult was 150 pounds of flour, 20 pounds of corn meal, 50 pounds of bacon, 40 pounds of sugar, 10 pounds of coffee, 15 pounds of dried fruit, 5 pounds of salt, half a pound of saleratus (baking soda, baking powder leavening mix), 2 pounds of tea, 5 pounds of rice, and 15 pounds of beans."

These were people who, for from 4 to 6 months, were engaged in daily (all day) physical activity, not sitting in front of computer or behind a desk.  They were outside, all day, no matter the weather.

The diet may seem UN-appealling and dull, but it was compact and provided the needed calories and a somewhat balanced diet (not by current standards).

Add to this any game which could be found on the way, plus grains (mostly grasses) harvested by anyone who could grab handfuls as they passed.

I note a marked lack of oils and fats, except for what was available in the bacon and any game they might find.
Bacon fat was SAVED!  Both for eating and for greasing the wagon wheels.

There were no potatoes or other root vegetables in the list.  They probably would not have lasted the entire trip.

I note the small amount  of rice and beans.  Both were certainly available at the trail head, but they were not a big part of the diet.

Water was carried, but under the assumption that it could be replenished along the trail.  They simply could not carry enough water for more than about a week ( roughly 7 gallons per person per week).  Plus animals.

This does not mention the animal feed needed, hay and grain.  Horses, cows and oxen were allowed to graze wherever possible.

So how do your food stocks compare?  Would you survive 4 to 6 months on what you have?

Personally, I go through about 20 pounds of flour a month, used just for bread and the occasional cake.  This is for two people.  I confess that I eat most of the bread all by myself.

How many are in your group/family?  Do you have someone who can bake?  Over a campfire if necessary?

I think a class on camp cooking would be a good idea...  Practice, Practice, Practice.

If you read the full article, you will find another list of foods, recommended by a different trail guide:

"two hundred pounds of flour
thirty pounds of pilot bread
seventy-five pounds of bacon
ten pounds of rice
five pounds of coffee
two pounds of tea
twenty-five pounds of sugar
half a bushel of dried beans
one bushel of dried fruit
two pound of saleratus [baking soda]
ten pounds of salt
half a bushel of corn meal
half a bushel of corn, parched and ground
a small keg of vinegar should also be taken"

I like the second list better, but this is PER PERSON and you had to be able to carry all of this in your wagon...
« Last Edit: September 25, 2016, 12:18:46 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: How much food?
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2016, 02:06:13 PM »
It also shows the starch rich grains were relied on for supplying basic calories and the bulk of their diet. Of course left unsaid was every deer, rabbit and catfish was taken for supplemental protein. Not too different from very basic prepping, IMO.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline 230gr

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2016, 09:15:05 AM »
Do you have someone who can bake?  Over a campfire if necessary?

This is also very true if you have a wood cook stove. Baking is a totally new adventure because of the difficulty in regularly heat control.  Heat from flame is different from that from coals and knowing when and how much wood to add is tricky. One thing I have found out is that heavy cast iron Dutch ovens are your friend!  They moderate the high and low heat better than anything else I know.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2016, 10:42:49 AM »
Expanding scope just a bit from how much food to how much.

The following is what one trapper made sure he had for this 6 to 9 month overwinter trapping stay in Alaska.

This a post I did to the on another forum. Note the survivalblog url. That's were I found the info:
Grub and Gear–Lessons Learned from an Alaskan Trapper
http://www.dwdailybriefing.com/jdy/index.php?topic=263.msg332#msg332

WolfBrother Note - this is what I would call the writers check list for his 5 to 6 month over winter trapping stay in Alaska.  If you read the full post located at the URL below, you'll see how it changed along the way.

NOTE ALSO - in his SurvivalBlog post, the author said every morning he'd check his fishing lines and if empty would cut some meat off of a hind or fore quarter for his protein for the day.

SO - if you choose to base a "grub and gear" checklist off this list, you'll have to ADD protein sources. Per person, 8 ounces of protein a day (1/2 pound) equals 183 pounds of protein needed for 1 year per person. That's meat only, no bones etc as part of the weight.

Begin Letter
Letter Re: Grub and Gear–Lessons Learned from an Alaskan Trapper – SurvivalBlog.com
http://survivalblog.com/letter_re_grub_and_gearlessons/

A More Complete Supply List

After my experiences the first two winters, I composed the following list. This is for one man for five to six months. It was refined for my personal taste and needs in the Alaska bush. The old trapper that I got my first list from made do with a lot less than what I took. This list is tried and true and not a just theory that someone made up. I had around 200 traps and ran the line on snowshoes, foot and skis. Cut my firewood by hand (no chain saw) and hauled my water from the lake in buckets. It was hard work 12-15 hours a day 7 days a week and I burned a lot of calories. Using the following list I ate well and always had plenty of supplies left in the spring:

Food Items
* 50 lbs Flour
* 50 lbs Bisquick
* 25 lbs Pancake mix
* 35 lbs Sugar
* 50 lbs Pinto Beans
* 25 lbs Rice
* 40 lbs Salt pork
* 25 lbs Salt
* 10 lbs Dried prunes
* 10 lbs Raisons
* 10 lbs Dried apricots
* 10 lbs Dried apples
* 10 lbs Dried peaches
* 25 lbs Oatmeal
* 10 lbs Honey
* 2 cases Tomato paste
* 25 lbs powdered milk
* 15 lbs [canned] Butter
* 25 lbs Corn meal
* 25 lbs [canned] Cheese
* 20 lbs Spaghetti Noodles
* 10 lbs Crisco
* 15 lbs Hot cocoa mix
* 10 lbs Dried eggs
* 5 lbs Strawberry Jam
* 3 lbs Apricot Jam
* 2 boxes Pilot bread
* 1 gal Maple Syrup
* 180 Multi vitamins
* 180 Vitamin C
* 1 lb [powdered dry] Yeast
* 180 Tea bags
* 1 lbs Pepper
* 1 lbs
* Baking soda
* 8 lbs
* Dried onions
* 1 lb Baking powder
* 1 lb. Corn starch
* 24 oz Garlic powder
* 12 oz Vanilla

* 2 rolls aluminum foil
* 1/2 gal Dish soap
* 5 bars non-scented soap
* 36 Canning lids (to can meat if we had a winter thaw or for leftover in the spring)
* 8 oz Hydrogen peroxide
* 2 oz Iodine
* 12 rolls Toilet paper
* 2 Small sponges
* 2 Scrub pads
* 1 roll Duct Tape
* 4 boxes of wooden Matches
* 24 Plumber’s candles
* 500 rounds .22 long rifle hollow point ammo
* 100 .308 ammo 125 grain hollow point varmint ammo
* 20 rounds .308 ammo 180 grain (for Moose or Caribou )
* Trapping license and regulations
* Hunting license, moose tags and caribou tags
* New snowshoe bindings
* 1 truck inner tube
* 3 New hacksaw blades
* 2 New Ax handles
* 8 Bow saw blades
* 36 oz Lanolin
* 6 Disposable lighters
* 12 gal White gas [aka Coleman Fuel]
* 12 Lantern mantels
* 6 oz. Gun oil
* Trapping Lures, urine and musk
* 10 lbs Trap wax
* 2 rolls Survey ["flagging"] tape
* 1 pair Heavy Neoprene trapping gloves
* 7 lbs Trapping wire( 50% 12 ga and 50% 14 ga)
* 50 ft Trap Chain #2 and #3
* 24 Links
* 24 Swivels
* AM Radio with 8 extra 9 volt batteries
* 8’ New stove pipe for cabin stove
* 4 Leather awl needles and 50’ waxed thread
* Extra shoulder straps for pack frame
* Extra hip belt for pack
* New lid for fry pan 14”
* 100’ – 3/8 nylon rope
* 12×18” glass to replace cracked window

Personal items[/b]
* 1 Wool Jacket
* 2 Wool pants
* 2 Work pants
* 1 Pair insulated Carhartt coveralls
* 4 Pair work gloves
* 2 Pair heavy winter over mittens.
* Winter trappers hat
* 1 pair
* Pack boots with 2 sets liners
* 1 pair Bunny Boots
* 1 Wool sweater
* 4 pair long sleeved wool shirts
* 3 pair Wool long john pants
* 3 pair Wool long john shirts
* 8 pair Wool socks
* 8 pair Cotton socks
* 6 pair Underpants
* 1 Bible
* 2 flying ground school books
* 6 Short sleeve Cotton shirts
* Tooth brush
* Tooth powder
* 2 rolls dental floss

Carried or in an external frame pack:

* 1 .308 rifle
* 1 22 pistol (Colt Woodsman)
* Rain coat
* Rain pants
* Insolite sleeping pad
* Sleeping bag
* 10×12’ and 4×8’ light nylon tarps
* Flashlight
* Flashlight batteries
* Binoculars, 10×40
* Green River skinning knife, caping knife, boning knife.
* Small stone, small file and small diamond steel
* Compass
* Topo maps 1:250,000 scale
* 2 Candles
* Matches in waterproof container
* Lighter
* Small cook pot with lid
* Water bottle
* 100’ Parachute cord
* Small First aid kit with Large suture needles and suture, in sealed pack
* Mini channel locks (Snap-on) used for sutures and other things
* Pack repair kit
* ¾-length Hand ax. (Estwing)
* Small shovel
* Bow saw with extra blade
* 1 pair wool socks
* Wire snares
* Fish hooks and line
* 25’ .042” stainless wire
* 1 lb Dried soup mix
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2016, 10:50:52 AM »
 Another list you might peruse under the “How Much” category.

The Author of this list is Jerry D. Young.  He developed it with the idea of “How Much” you ‘d need for 30 years alone.

I dunno, he might chime in on this post

Lifetime alone in the Wilderness (30 years)
30 Years Alone In The Wilderness
Situation:
You are fed up with life in the city. You’ve lost your family and friends to an on-going plague. With the plague taking so many, people are isolating themselves in small clans. You decide you would rather live by yourself in the wilderness. Givens:
You are 45ish, and your family history is such that you can expect to live 30 more years, in good health.
You can live in any wilderness area of the US without fear of outside human contact.
With the steady die-off of humans, natural flora and fauna in the chosen area are making a big comeback and the weather stays in the area’s normal limits. Only things suitable for the Growing Zone of the selected area can be grown.
You can pick your vehicle of choice for the single one way trip, worth up to $60,000.
You can have one trailer that can be realistically towed with the vehicle worth up to $30,000
You can have the guns you want for the situation.

You have $300,000 from the sale of your house, and a self-imposed timetable of 6 months, to get the rest of the things you want. Custom items can be made, and standard items are in stock and available for regular prices.

Where do you go, how do you get there, what do you take with you, and what do you do when you get there? Take your time and include as many details as possible.

Or, what do I need to add, delete, or change, if you don’t want to do a list of your own?

My list:
Location is on a natural lake (Mark Twain Lake, Missouri) well above the high water mark, growing zone 5, with mixed deciduous and evergreen forest, and a mixture of large and small game, fish, game birds, and migratory waterfowl. Move in early spring at the best time to transplant trees and begin preparing a garden.

Chevy 1-ton diesel crew cab 4x4 w/captain’s chair front seats w/cargo capacity of 6,000 pounds and towing capacity of 14,000 pounds.
 8’6”x12’ flatbed w/winch & overhead rack with gantry crane
 4 Under slung extended fuel tanks w/Pri-D treated diesel (filled at last fuel station before arrival)
 2 Under slung tool boxes
 Custom built panels to enclose bed & rack carried on deck
 Custom built 8’ wide x 8’ high x 12’ long double extendable box on flatbed deck w/6’ x 8’ extension over cab, insulated w/doors, windows, wiring, and plumbing installed, on skids above the enclosure panels
 2 quality twin size mattresses carried in the extension of the truck box (1 + 1 spare)
 20 300 watt 48v solar panels carried in the extension of the truck box (10 + 10 spares)
 1 Necky Nootka Plus sea kayak w/outriggers, oars, and sails carried on top of truck box
 1 14’ Jac Boat Jon boat w/Klaxon 9hp diesel outboard, oars, & sails, carried on top of truck box

Custom tri-axle trailer w/8’6” x 32’ flatbed
 Rolling tailboard
 3 sets of 15 2” thick triangle building panels to put together 3 12’ diameter Star Plate buildings
 2 sets lumber and polycarbonate triangles for 2 12’ diameter Star Plate greenhouses
 Custom 8’wide, x 8’ high x 24’ long double extendable box w/folding porch & roof and folding greenhouse, insulated w/doors, windows, wiring, and plumbing installed. On skids, riding on supports over Star Plate building components
 Demountable enclosure for the trailer is installed after box is loaded
 Lumber to build 8’ x 24’ floating dock set on top of trailer box & 6 24” x 8’ pontoon sections carried on top of lumber
 3 each black walnut, pecan, hazelnut, apple, peach, black cherry, kiwi, black plum, juniper, & sassafras tree seedlings for replanting carried on rear of trailer
 5 Morden #9703, 5 Fredonia, 5 Valliant, & 5 Kay Gray grape vines for replanting carried on rear of trailer
 1 lemon, 2 lime, 2 ginger, 3 orange, & 4 banana potted miniature trees for attached greenhouse carried on rack on rear of trailer
 Strawberry, thorny blackberry, thorny wild rose, mint, wintergreen, dandelion, & tomato starter plants in flats on rear of trailer
 4 beehives carried on racks on rear of trailer
 4 cages of chickens carried on racks on rear of trailer
 1 6kw diesel generator on rear of trailer w/12 heavy duty power cords
 1 diesel BCS 853 2-wheel garden tractor w/attachments on rear of trailer
 1 diesel ROKON 2-wheel drive bike w/attachments on rear of trailer
 1 small scale biodiesel plant w/oil press, methanol recovery kit, & chemicals to produce 10 gallons of biodiesel per month for 30 years on rear of trailer

After arrival tent camp is set up near site of where buildings will go
 Chicken fence enclosure is built to house chickens
 Items on rear of trailer are removed and stored out of the way
 Bee hives are set out
 Pontoons are removed from top of trailer box and stored out of the way
 Lumber for floating dock is removed from top of trailer box and stored with pontoons
 Kayak & Jon boat are removed from top of truck box and stored out of the way
 Storage cases are removed from truck box and stacked out of the way
 Solar panels & mounts are removed from the truck box extension and stacked out of the way
 One panel of trailer enclosure is removed to give access to extendable box to unload it
 Storage cases are removed from trailer box and stacked out of the way
 Enclosure panel is replaced and trailer is parked out of the way

Area is cleared of trees and prepared for buildings, an orchard, an oil seed field, and a large garden, using truck, chainsaw, ROKON, and building tools

Fruit and nut tree seedlings are planted in orchard area

Trailer box is rolled off trailer using truck winch, set on site cut timbers, and the double inner slides extended to create a 22’ x 24’ insulated building with greenhouse side facing south. Front porch & roof is erected and secured. Folding greenhouse is erected and secured. Potted miniature trees are placed in greenhouse. Building is tied down to ground anchors.

Truck box is lifted off truck bed using gantry crane, set on site cut timbers next to the first building, and the double inner slides of main compartment extended to create a 22’ x 12’ insulated building with projecting 8’ x 6’ sleeping loft. Building is tied down to ground anchors. A door opening on each of the two extendable box buildings match to give access from one to the other, with another door for outside exit/entry.

Star Plate components are removed from trailer and 3 12’ diameter insulated buildings (1 chicken coop & 2 storage), and 2 12’ diameter greenhouses erected. Buildings are tied down to ground anchors.

Dock lumber and pontoons are moved to lake shore. Dock is built on pontoons and pushed onto water with truck. Floating dock is secured with site cut poles driven into the lake bottom. Kayak and Jon boat are secured to dock.

Wood stoves for the buildings are installed and storage cases moved inside.

10 solar panels are installed on building roofs and 6 batteries installed with inverter. Other 6 batteries stored dry for replacement in 15 years. Ditto second set of 10 solar panels. Power is connected to pre-wired buildings (Outlets and LED light fixtures). Entire system is grounded.

Initial supply of fire wood is gathered and cut using ROKON, generator, & chainsaw.

Kitchen and bath gear is set up in the pre-plumbed/wired building with sleeping loft. Well is installed by kitchen/bath/sleeping building and plumbed in to hand pump, with drain to garden plot.

Garden plot and oil seed field are worked with rototiller, incorporating as much humus material as can be reasonably gathered and distributed from the surrounding area with garden cart and tools.

Seedling potatoes are planted. Strawberries, blackberries, rose bushes, mint, and tomatoes are planted.

Built-in legs for truck bed are lowered and bed detached from frame at a convenient spot to use as tool shed, work platform for biodiesel plant, and garage for ROKON, rototiller, generator, and outdoor tools. Enclosure panels are secured to truck bed and rack.

Trailer is positioned to allow use as 8’ x 30’ storage room and put up on jack stands and tied down to ground anchors. Empty packing cases are stored in trailer and the rest of the space is covered firewood storage.

Truck is set on jack stands, and tied to ground anchors in a position to catch sunlight in the windshield and to allow the use of the front mounted winch, onboard welder, onboard AC inverter, and onboard air compressor using biodiesel when regular diesel is gone.

Front Captain’s chair seats and rear seat are moved to the largest building for seating.

Empty cab is set up for use as drying chamber with drying racks and shelves.

Garden is planted. Field for oil seed plants is planted.

Projects as time passes in order of completion: irrigation water sluice from solar pump in lake to garden, large log lined earth sheltered root cellar/storm cellar/wine cellar, compost piles, human waste burial pits to empty chemical toilets, ice house, lay down log floors in Star Plate buildings, continue to cut firewood to build up a supply for the later years of life when the work would be more difficult.

The compound consists of 12’ x 22’ mini-house w/6’ x 8’ sleeping extension connected to 22’ x 24’ main building with porch and attached greenhouse, 8’ x 32’ storage building, 12’ diameter chicken coop, 2 12’ diameter storage rooms, 2 12’-diameter greenhouses, 8’ x 12’ garage/work room/storage building, all arranged to create a protected area for an outdoor kitchen and summertime activity area.

Supplies & Equipment in custom cases as necessary, carried in the 8’ x 12’ truck box, 8’ x 24’ trailer box & 8’ x 8’ rear deck area of trailer
 (20,000 pounds in 7’x7’x22’ + 7’x7’x11’ + 7’x8’x8’ + 4’x6’x8’ = 2,257 cuft packing space)

Information
 2 copies survival manual
 2 copies plant identification guides
 2 copies animal identification guides
 2 copies fish & sea mammal identification guides
 1 case with cookbooks and food preservation manuals
 1 case with construction manuals
 1 case with gardening books
 1 brass sundial on brass stand
 1 windup 8-day clock w/calendar
 1 wooden perpetual calendar
 2 sets mechanical weather instruments

Activity gear:
 60 decks plastic coated cards
 500 pads paper
 500 pencils
 2 According to Hoyle instruction books
 4 cases of classic fiction & non-fiction books
 4 cases of audio & video disks
 2 top of the line laptop computers w/2TB hard drives & DVD/BlueRay drives
 2 2TB external hard drives w/music/video/text entertainment & reference library
 1 heavy duty dot matrix printer with 15 print heads & 60 vacuum sealed ribbons
 4 spare AC power cords each
 4 spare DC power cords each
 6 spare laptop batteries each

Communications gear:
 2 Yaesu FT-897D Amateur radio w/antenna tuner (broadbanded to all band, all modes)
 6 Antennas w/stands/poles & cables

Personal gear:
 2 Glock Model 21SF .45 ACP pistols each w/holster, 12 magazines, 2 dual magazine pouches
 2 Beretta Tomcat .32 ACP pistols, each w/holster, 12 magazines, 2 dual magazine pouches
 5 pair Wiley X Nerve goggles w/spare lenses
 10 pair Body Glove photo chromatic safety sunglasses w/keepers
 10 pair various power reading glasses
 4 large magnifying glasses
 2 Timex Automatic field watch
 2 Cold Steel Medium Voyager pocket knife
 2 Wenger Survivor Swiss Army Knives w/leather case
 2 Leatherman Surge multi-tools w/set of bits and leather case
 4 brass match case w/leather case
 2 leather messenger bags
 4 Nalgene Guyot stainless steel water bottles w/nestling cup & Maxpedition 4”x12” carriers
 15 Write In The Rain pocket notebooks
 6 Fisher space pens w/10 refills each
 4 brass Zippo lighters w/spare wicks, flints, 6 pocket refill canisters, 60 12-ounce cans fuel
 4 key rings w/spare keys, Benchmade pocket knife sharpener, Swedish steel & striker

Fire, heat, light, and electrical gear:
 100 crank up flashlights
 20 candle holders/lamps
 1,000 beeswax 12” candles
 500’ candle wick
 4 4-tube candle molds to make wax candles from wax from bee hives
 4 Allweatherfirestarters.com magnesium rod/ferro rod/striker fire starters
 100 boxes Wet Fire tinder
 300 Bic lighters
 10 Swedish fire steel w/striker
 6,000 strike anywhere matches in LTS #2½ cans (24 boxes of 250 each)
 6 pairs 19” fireplace gloves
 1 medium kitchen wood stove w/water heater and oven w/stove pipe (kitchen/bath/sleeping building)
 2 medium sized wood heating stoves w/stove pipe (22’ x 24’ building)
 3 small wood heating stoves w/stove pipe (3 12’ diameter StarPlate buildings)
 20 300 watt/48 volt solar panels (10 + 10 spare)
 12 8-volt deep cycle batteries carried dry, with acid containers (6 + 6 spare)
 2 3,000 watt inverter/battery chargers w/wiring for solar panels & batteries (1 + 1 spare)
 4 Petromax multi-fuel lanterns (500cp) with 60 spare wicks each & 24 spare chimneys
 (alcohol starting fluid from medicinal Everclear)

Water gear:
 4 1-liter Stanley steel thermos
 2 2-quart Stanley steel thermos
 2 24-ounce wide mouth steel thermos
 4 7-gal water containers w/spigot
 6 Sawyer 4-liter complete purifier system
 2 open-fire water stills w/receiving containers
 4 large solar water stills
 6 5-gallon nested stainless steel buckets w/lids
 20 stainless steel reusable water bottles
 10 canvas water cooling bags
 4 2” x 5’ well drive points
 126’ 2” galvanized pipe in 7’ sections
 Well driver
 4 sets fittings & nipples
 2 shallow well hand pumps w/spare parts
 2 solar powered water pumps with solar panel & pipe assembly to put pump in lake

Kitchen equipment:
 2 fire spits w/supports
 6 grilling baskets
 2 fire grates
 2 fire tripods
 2 fire tongs
 1 large cauldron (for keeping water hot)
 4 large kettles
 4 large solar ovens
 1 set baking pans
 1 set of large utensils & knives
 4 cast iron Dutch ovens
 4 cast iron frying pans
 2 cast iron griddle
 2 sest miscellaneous pots/pans/dishes/utensils
 8 sets stainless steel plate, cup, bowl, knife, fork, spoon
 4 dishpans
 2 1-gal water bottles w/pumps
 1 Diamont 525 manual grain mill w/2 sets replacement burrs & repair parts
 2 Troycraft hand crank stand mixer
 2 Vortex manual blender
 4 collapsible evaporative cooler shelf units
 1 kitchen sink w/stand and drain
 1 set water supply pipe
 1 set drain pipe
 1 115vAC ice maker
 4 Coleman 200qt OptiMaxx Coolers

Gardening & gathering equipment:
 1 diesel powered 2-wheel garden tractor w/attachments
 100 plastic layout stakes
 30 balls layout twine
 4 planting dibbles
 1 manual wheeled garden seeder
 2 manual high wheel garden machines w/attachments
 2 garden carts
 6 spades
 6 shovels
 4 sets greenhouse hand tools
 2 trenching shovels
 2 pitchforks
 4 potato forks
 6 garden rakes
 6 garden hoes
 2 scythes
 2 sickles
 2 sharpening files
 1 scythe/sickle peening kit
 12 stainless steel buckets (for watering, etc.)
 30 LTS #10 cans heirloom vegetable seeds
 12 LTS #10 cans spice, herb, seasoning, flavoring, medicinal plant seeds
 500 pounds other heirloom seeds
 500 pounds canola seeds to plant to make biodiesel
 100 pounds seedling potatoes
 100 pounds hops seeds to plant to make beer
 100 pounds beer grains seeds to plant to make beer
 6 gathering baskets/buckets/pouches
 2 sets tree climbing spikes & belts
 2 bee protective suits w/headnets & bee colony care tools
 4 quality SS pump sprayers w/extra parts
 4 rolls wire mesh fencing for plant/tree protectors/supports

Hunting/fishing/shooting gear:
 2 scoped Peter Hofer funflings 12 gauge x 12 gauge w/.22 Hornet over .30-’06 over .375 H&H Magnum w/field equipment ($1,000,000)
 500 rounds each of 12 gauge brass shells, .22 Hornet, .30-’06, .375 H&H Magnum, .45 ACP, & .32 ACP
 (more realistically:
 (2 Remington 799 .22 Hornet rifle w/Bushnell scope & sling)
 (2 Stoeger Condor Supreme 12 gauge 26" 3" chamber w/SST hunting shotgun w/sling)
 (2 Remington 700 .30-’06 center-fire hunting rifle w/Bushnell scope & sling)
 (2 Remington 700 .375 H&H Magnum center-fire hunting rifle w/Bushnell scope & sling)

RCBS reloading gear for each caliber w/bullets/shot, primers, & powder to reload each case 8 times
 4 gun cleaning kits, extra patches, extra cleaning fluids, dry lubricant
 4 Lansky knife sharpening kits
 40 wire cable snares
 24 assorted live game traps
 4 fish/frog replaceable tip gigs w/spare tips
 12 minnow traps
 24 fish traps
 24 trotline assemblies
 10 sets line fishing equipment
 2 short handled gaffs
 2 long handled gaffs
 2 fishing long handle hand nets
 2 fishing short handle hand nets
 1 set game preparation equipment (skinning &, gutting knives, meat saw, game hoist, stainless steel receiving pans)
 2 compound bows each w/300 various arrows w/screw in heads , 2 extra cables, 12 extra strings, 100 extra heads
 2 compound crossbows each w/300 various bolts w/screw in head, 2 extra cables, 12 extra strings, 100 extra heads
 2 compound bow fishing rigs with reels, line, arrows, and points
 2 compound cross bow fishing rigs w/reels, line, bolts, and points
 2 arrow straighteners, extra arrow nocks, points, fletching, lube,
 6 boar spears
 6 harpoons w/line
 12 cast/gill nets w/line, weights, & floats
 2 ice augers
 100 pounds wild animal grass/plant seed for seeding game areas
 15 salt blocks for seeding game areas
 10 mineral blocks for seeding game areas

Hide and leather working equipment and supplies
 stainless steel tanning pans
 scrapers
 stretchers
 cutters
 leather sewing kit

Food preservation equipment and supplies
 4 food smokers in knocked down configuration w/racks, hooks, & smoke pipe
 8 large solar drying racks in knocked down configuration w/mesh covers
 1 set drying racks to fit truck cab after seats are removed
 100 stringing needles and nylon string (for stringing items to hang dry)
 2 meat grinder w/sausage stuffer to make smoked sausage w/1,000 tubes, crimper, & rings
 2 jerky shooter to make ground meat jerky
 1,000 cloth bags to store dried/smoked foods
 2 All-American pressure canners w/canning tools & spare parts (will use emptied canning jars)
 1,200 extra Tattler reusable wide mouth jar lids and rings (replacements for those on jars)

Food (for use until garden and orchard are producing well, and any lean years, plus comfort foods)
 600 jars of home canned foods w/Tattler reusable lids (wide mouth pints & quarts)(jars will be reused)
 30 Harvey’s Groves 2-pound Grandma’s Old Fashioned Fruit cake packed in tins
 60 gallons premium coconut oil
 150 pounds butterscotch hard candy packed in LTS #10 cans
 150 pounds peppermint hard candy packed in LTS #10 cans
 300 pounds block chocolate packed in LTS #10 cans
 300 pounds brick tea packed in LTS #10 cans
 300 pounds cocoa in LTS #10 cans
 300 pounds powdered sugar in LTS #10 cans
 1,500 pounds regular sugar in 6-gallon super pails
 1,500 pounds grains in 6-gallon super pails
 1,500 pounds beans/legumes in 6-gallon super pails
 1,500 pounds canning/curing salt in 6-gallon super pails
 500 pounds iodized table salt in #10 cans
 30 6-can cases dried whole milk in #10 cans
 15 6-can cases cheese powder in #10 cans
 15 6-can cases butter powder in #10 cans
 15 6-can cases #10 cans of freeze-dried vegetables
 30 6-can cases #10 cans of freeze-dried fruits
 30 6-can cases #10 cans of freeze-dried meat
 30 cases w/LTS #2½ canned condiments, spices, herbs, seasonings, flavorings, adjuncts, bouillon, yeast, etc.
 (Allspice, bay leaf, coarse black pepper, mild chili powder, cinnamon, ginger, Italian seasoning, lemon pepper, nutmeg, season salt, spaghetti sauce spice, 4x strength vanilla extract, baking powder, baking soda, corn starch, cream of tartar, beef bouillon, chicken bouillon, yeast)

Toilet/bathing/hygiene/cleaning equipment:
 1 SunMar Excel NE composting toilet w/solar powered vent cap & spare parts
 1 chemical toilet with repair parts
 1 latrine top w/seat
 1 privacy screen
 100 toilet wipe rags
 4 toilet wipe rag containers
 2 toilet wipe soaking containers
 1 toilet wipe washing container
 2 Rapid washer plungers
 2 pair laundry tongs
 2 buckets chlorine pool treatment granules
 6 1-gallon water bottles w/pump
 2 hand washing basin
 10 5-gal Sun-shower bags
 privacy screen
 small folding stand
 small dishpan
 stainless steel mirror
 60 wash cloths
 120 hand towels
 120 bath towels
 basic toiletries
 300 Ivory hand soap bars
 300 Lava hand soap bars
 2 sets shaving instruments (straight razor, hone, strop, shaving cup, brush, hang up mirror, 60 shaving soap cakes)
 2 sets hair cutting equipment & supplies (cutting scissors, trimming scissors, cloak, brushes, combs)
 Knocked down raised base shower enclosure w/drain & piping for kitchen/bath/sleeping building
 2 sets of cleaning tools (brooms, mops, scrub brushes, buckets, etc.)

Laundry equipment & supplies
 1 large cast iron kettle
 1 James washer w/ringer
 4 Breathing Mobile Washer (plunger type wash agitator)
 4 stainless steel washtubs
 2 ladles
 2 stirring paddles
 2 pair laundry tongs
 2 clothes line sets each with 2 posts w/T-arm, 4 guys w/anchors, 3 clothes lines, 100 clothes pins
 300 bars Fels-Naptha laundry soap
 40 pounds Arm & Hammer washing soda
 50 pounds 20 Mule Team Borax

Clothing:
 60 sets wool pants and shirts
 60 sets cotton/poly blend pants and shirts
 30 sets light insulated underwear w/glove liners, sock liners, balaclava
 30 sets wool insulating underwear w/glove liners, sock liners, balaclava
 120 sets tee shirts & boxer briefs
 300 pairs light socks
 300 pairs heavy wool socks
 120 bandannas
 10 pairs Caboots custom shotgun boots
 10 pairs Caboots custom shotgun boots w/shearling lining
 6 pairs NEOS insulated over boot
 10 pairs moccasins
 10 pairs shearling lined moccasins
 10 pairs rubber knee boots
 4 leather belts
 4 sets all leather suspenders
 4 wide brim leather hats w/chin strap & ear warmer flaps
 12 pairs light leather gloves
 12 pairs shearling lined winter gloves
 12 pairs Goretex/Thinsulate gloves
 6 pair Goretex/Thinsulate mittens
 10 heavy wool cardigan sweaters
 4 light jackets
 4 leather safari jackets
 4 Drover coats w/liner
 6 Carhartt Arctic parkas w/hoods
 6 Carhartt Arctic bibs
 6 ski mask/insulated face mask
 4 breath warmer mask
 12 wool neck scarf
 4 personal flotation vests

Sewing equipment and supplies
 4 extensive hand sewing kits
 Janome 712T treadle sewing machine
 Singer treadle sewing machine stand
 50 bobbins
 200 needles
 200 spools thread
 2 sets of scissors
 Scissor sharpener
 Bobbin winder
 Set of accessories
 1,000 straight pins
 500 safety pins
 Set of spare parts
 Set of basic patterns in several sizes
 Set of notions (buttons, zippers, snaps, etc.)
 4 cases Bolts of cloth

Bedding:
 2 twin size high quality mattresses (1 used for 15 years, then 2nd)
 12 sets twin size sheets & pillow cases
 6 bed pillows
 12 twin size blankets
 6 twin size quilts

Medical items:
 Where There Is No Doctor
 Where There Is No Dentist
 Ships medicine chest & Medical Aid at Sea
 Emergency War Surgery
 PDR/PDR-OTC/PDR-Herbals
 stethoscope
 BP Cuff
 otoscope
 basic OTC medications
 prescriptions
 extended first-aid kit
 trauma kit
 only-aid kit supplies
 birthing kits
 suturing kits
 dental kits
 splinting materials
 6 750ml bottles of Everclear (medicinal & for starting Petromax diesel lamps)

Construction gear:
 1 ROKON 2-wheel drive diesel bike w/attachments
 3 electric chainsaws for use with solar power/generator system w/replacement chains, chain sharpener, oil
 2 heavy duty hand trucks/carts w/solid wheels
 2 plumb bob
 2 level
 2 water level
 2 sighting level
 4 square
 2 compass
 2 protractor
 4 wooden stick rule
 4 12’ measuring tape
 4 25’ measuring tape
 4 100’ measuring tape
 4 scribe
 1000’ guideline string
 100 lumber pencils
 30 chalk sticks
 30 wax sticks
 2 lumber measure
 2 large sets clamps (C, bar, etc)
 4 axe
 4 shovel
 4 spade
 4 machete
 2 pick-mattock
 4 post hole diggers
 4 felling saw
 8 crosscut saw
 8 rip saw
 8 planking saw
 8 finishing saw
 2 mallet
 10 wedges
 4 sledge hammer
 30 rock drills
 2 rock hammers/chippers
 6 block & tackle
 4 come-alongs
 4 chain hoist
 6 adze
 4 froe
 3 heavy mallet
 2 offset broadhead axe
 4 broadax (to square logs for cabin building) (12" log gave 8" timber)
 4 hewind dog (to hold logs in position while squaring)
 6 light mallet
 6 wood rasps
 12 wood chisels
 2 brace drill & 48 wood boring bits
 2 Yankee drills w/metal bits
 2 breast drills w/metal and wood bits
 2 draw knife
 4 plane
 4 carving knives
 4 sanding stone
 8 hammers of varying types
 16 metal files
 6 honing stone
 2 strop
 3 saw setting & sharpening tools
 Fire heated soldering iron
 1 anvil
 1 vise
 3 bolt cutters (12”, 24”, 36”) w/ 2 spare cutter heads each
 4 16’ articulating ladders

Construction/building/repair supplies
 T-posts & chicken wire fencing to make chicken enclosure
 T-posts & stringing wire for grape arbors
 rope
 cord
 wire
 plastic sheeting
 gorilla tape
 assortment of fasteners (nails, screws, bolts & nuts, etc)
 basic set of household tools
 assortment of adhesives

Winter gear
 igloo building tool
 2 igloo doors
 2 snow saw
 2 snow knife
 4 snow block molds
 4 snow shovel
 6 100’ high visibility guide ropes
 2 ice saws
 2 ice tongs
 8 rolls plastic sheeting

Firefighting equipment
 2 Pulaski fire axes
 2 council pick & shovel combo
 2 fire rakes
 24 Stainless steel fire buckets (for water in summer & sand/dirt in winter

Camp equipment:
 4 compass
 2 4,000 ci Kifaru Navigator backpacks w/cargo chair & gun bearer
 2 2,500 ci Kifaru Marauder backpacks w/cargo chair & gun bearer
 2 Kifaru military pulkas
 2 Cabela’s super magnum game carts w/dual wheel option
 4 sets aluminum snow shoes w/bindings & poles
 2 pairs crampons
 2 ice axes
 6 100’ ropes w/set of carabiners, rappelling gear, pulleys, & ascenders
 6 pair of ice escape picks
 2 large tarp/awning w/poles, stakes & rope
 4 folding stools
 2 folding table
 20 wind-up LED flashlights
 4 hammock w/mosquito bar
 12 mosquito head net/extra mosquito bar
 2 Complete Kifaru Regulator arctic sleeping bag system
 2 Therm-a-rest Prolight 4 large insulated sleep pad
 2 Kifaru Para-Hootch shelter w/poles, rope, & stakes
 2 Kifaru tent wood stoves
 2 sets general recreational camping equipment

Spirits
 Custom wooden/leather bar case w/bar tools & crystal glassware
 Root beer making kit w/576 spare rings (~5 use) for flip-top Virgil’s Root Beer bottles (~2 bottles/week)
 Beer/stout making kit w/576 spare rings (~5 use) for flip-top Drake’s Imperial Stout bottles (~2 bottles/week)
 Mead making kit w/960 corks (refill used mead bottles)(~1 bottle/week)
 Wine making kit w/960 corks (refill used wine bottles)(~1 bottle/week)
 ISI seltzer maker w/3600 cartridges (~2 cartridges/week)
 Beer/Stout/Root beer
 96 22 ounce flip-top bottles Virgil’s Root Beer (~2 bottles/week)(bottles refilled with homemade root beer)
 96 500ml flip-top bottles Drake’s Imperial Stout (~2 bottles/week)(bottles refilled with homemade stout)
 Wine & Champagne
 60 750ml bottles Louis Roederer Cristal 1999 Champagne (2 bottles/year)
 96 750ml bottles Viking Blod Mead (~1 bottle/week)(bottles refilled w/homemade mead)
 96 750ml bottles Rochioli Chardonnay 2007 (~1 bottle/week)(refilled with homemade wine)
 Liquor/liquors/ (~1 drink/week)
 6 750ml bottles Amareto DiSarrano
 6 750ml bottles Frangelico
 6 750ml bottles Godiva Chocolate Liqueur
 6 750ml bottles DeKuyber Crème de Menthe, green
 6 750ml bottles Yellow Chartreuse VEP
 6 750ml bottles Irish Mist
 6 750ml bottles Galliano
 6 750ml bottles DeKuyber Butterscotch Schnapps
 6 750ml bottles Rumpleminz Peppermint Schnapps
 6 750ml bottles Barcardi coco rum
 6 750ml bottles Jack Daniels Single Barrel Whiskey
 6 750ml bottles Hirsch Selection 28 year bourbon
 6 750ml bottles Hennessy Paradis Extra Cognac
 6 750ml bottles El Dorado 25 year special reserve rum
 6 750ml bottles Taylor Porto 40 year Tawny Port
 12 750ml bottles Bailey’s Irish CreamA

« Last Edit: November 03, 2016, 11:02:18 AM by WolfBrother »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

I am a SheepDog.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2016, 02:27:43 PM »
That truly looks like Jerry's work!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2016, 03:13:27 PM »
That truly looks like Jerry's work!
He said it was - I believe him.

The first one was a daily entry on Survival blog.  Author used a Nom de Plume instead of real name.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2016, 05:14:31 PM »
Yep. 30 years in the wilderness was my reply to a thread on Survivalist Boards a couple of years ago where a guy was asking what it would take to live the rest of his life away from everything.

I caught a lot of grief for it, but that is not unusual with some of my lists.

Jerry
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline 230gr

« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2016, 05:31:01 PM »
Probably just jealous of you superior taste in liquor.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2016, 02:01:35 PM »
Might have a point. I do (did) like the good stuff.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)