Home Page

Post Your Topic Ideas Here

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
Post Your Topic Ideas Here
« on: December 08, 2015, 02:00:53 PM »
Post your ideas for discussion right here for consideration on future nets.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Post Your Topic Ideas Here
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 10:36:43 AM »
Re Communications, we as a group have not discussed how we could establish and maintain a comm network.

Yes, those who are already HAM's are already working that network, but many of us are not part of the network.

So, how can we (should we?) set up a plan for communication within the group?

I want to start the discussion by directing your attention to this article on SurvivalBlog.com

http://survivalblog.com/developing-a-communications-plan-for-your-group-by-n-m/

While this article is heavy on HAM, it also addresses cell-phone trees and plans for when the comm network
should become active (what events would be "trigger" events...).

This would also make a good topic for our monthly meetings.
Spelling corrected 12/13/15...
« Last Edit: December 13, 2015, 10:55:30 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 11:03:54 AM »
I was sure I sent a list by e-mail, but I cannot find a record of it.

So here is another list I did when we were looking for presentation topics. Some might be suitable for roundtable discussion. I will think on it some more when I have more time and see what else I can come up with.

Some are perhaps too far fetched for this group, or too controversial.

1.   Dealing with flooding from extreme rain/Truckee dam failure
2.   Dealing with a continued drought & dust storms
3.   Dealing with household insect infestations
4.   Dealing with crop insect infestations and plagues
5.   Extraterrestrial events other than asteroids and CMEs (Increased/decreased solar radiation, Gamma ray burst, meteorite swarm of dangerous size/number, etc.)
6.   Food crop failures due to funguses (Rice blast/Soybean rust/Wheat stem rust/Corn smut/Potato late blight) or other major crop diseases/failures
7.   Ring Of Fire eruptions and ash fall
8.   Dealing with fuel shortages and travel restrictions
9.   Dealing with local infrastructure failures due to a local fire or other local event
10.   Dealing with drastic weather changes, either way
11.   Dealing with a severe heat wave without electric power
12.   Dealing with riots and local major crime/crime waves
13.   Dealing with allergies and similar afflictions
14.   Dealing with an ordered and ‘orderly’ California evacuation over I-80
15.   Doing guerrilla gardening
16.   Our individual and group actions in case of tornadoes in the area
17.   Options to wood stoves and wood fires if outlawed
18.   Prepper finances in light of banking system failures, economic shutdown, etc.
19.   Handling fear and panic in yourself and others in high stress situations
20.   Evacuation routes and destinations from various parts of the city and surrounding areas
21.   Cache types, sites, placement, and recovery
22.   Trauma Kits vs First-aid kits vs Band-aid & Neosporin kits

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2015, 02:23:44 PM »
Re Communications, we as a group have not discussed how we could establish and maintain a comm network.

We have not done well addressing this issue.
I propose we create a committee to work out the details and then present them to the group.
There are some simple ways to take care of business and get the instructions to everyone.
For those of us who are licensed to transmit on 40 meters, I would love to get all of us on NVIS antennas, tested and verified so we can have local communication ability to fill in gaps.
So much to discuss and set up.
This is a task worth tackling.

Ken
K7KBJ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2015, 10:58:45 AM »
Ken, I would like to be part of that committee.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 11:54:44 AM »
I had posted these in a net meeting thread, but thought I would add them here, as well, since this is the thread about possible net meeting topics.

1. Considering things currently going on in the world, is anyone significantly more worried and is it affecting your prepping if so?

2. In a similar vein, considering things currently going on in the world, are you seeing holes in your preps that you suddenly really want to fill?

3. Again, considering things currently going on in the world, have you changed your mind about what could happen or what surely will not happen?

4. Same reason... If you have had some sort of time frame in mind for something specific that might happen, has it changed?

5. Are you finding yourself re-evaluating your preps suddenly, when you were fairly happy with them recently?

6. We discussed seeing that there seem to be more people getting into prepping. Do you think that is happening even more now, and faster, with more intensity?

7. Partly related, but not entirely. The situation did make me think about it, however. What have you been putting off in your preps, for whatever reason, that have been on the back burner.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline TWP

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 12:29:00 PM »
Thanks Jerry.  I have some thoughts about this and would certainly like to see it pursued by some number of members of NNPG.

I've added my input in the quoted section below.

I had posted these in a net meeting thread, but thought I would add them here, as well, since this is the thread about possible net meeting topics.

1. Considering things currently going on in the world, is anyone significantly more worried and is it affecting your prepping if so?

My concern has been growing in the last six to eight months.  Partly that is due to the increase in political rhetoric coming from the new media... I try to take that with the appropriate "grain-of-salt", but I do mark a step up in anxiety.  My prepping has become more urgent and I am looking at stockpiling more of what I can afford.

2. In a similar vein, considering things currently going on in the world, are you seeing holes in your preps that you suddenly really want to fill?

Yes.  The areas are: Water, radiological protection, Medical / disease protection and "tools" (read between the lines here).

3. Again, considering things currently going on in the world, have you changed your mind about what could happen or what surely will not happen?

Over the last year, my expectations for some prepper risk factors have increased (financial failure and violence, both civil and international).  There risks which are not "anthropogenic" which are still part of the factors which drive my prepping, but my plans and preps for those are unchanged.  These later risks include CME's, asteroid impacts, earthquakes, and storms.

4. Same reason... If you have had some sort of time frame in mind for something specific that might happen, has it changed?

Re financial failure, my time frame is shortened, recently, on this, sometime in the next one to two years.  Civil "unrest" is already happening on a local scale (witness the Las Vegas and Reno (did you see that?) sniper shootings).  Personally, I am MUCH more "situational aware" when I am moving about town. 

5. Are you finding yourself re-evaluating your preps suddenly, when you were fairly happy with them recently?

Simply: Yes.

6. We discussed seeing that there seem to be more people getting into prepping. Do you think that is happening even more now, and faster, with more intensity?

I'm of mixed mind on this.  The news media is, pick one, ignoring prepping or disparaging it, depending on how it fits in the current news cycle.   I do read "alternative" news sources and they tend to contain more prepper related information.  Do either the main-stream or alternative news truthfully show a trend?  I can't say they are outright lying, but again these are organizations which follow the money...

7. Partly related, but not entirely. The situation did make me think about it, however. What have you been putting off in your preps, for whatever reason, that have been on the back burner.

Mostly upgrading my gear; better camping equipment (things I did not have before).  My transportation (bicycle) has long been a concern and I have increased the spare parts in my prepper stocks.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 09:05:55 PM »

I cannot remember for sure, but we may have done the following topic idea, or at least some version thereof. Here it is again, anyway.

It comes from an idea I had for either a book, a chapter in a prepping manual, a series of articles, or a set of discussions, though not necessarily on the Prepper Net.

I will leave it to you to paraphrase.

Jerry D. Young's Tips & Tricks; Hints & Kinks; Suggestions & Recommendations; Random Thoughts & Philosophical Musings; Thoughts Outside The Box & Pushes On The Envelope; Random Thoughts & Philosophical Musings; and my 'Just My Opinions" About Prepping And Life In General

I repeat, I will leave it to you to paraphrase.

Uh... dare I say... Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young