Home Page

"skin glue" for your BOB/med kits

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
"skin glue" for your BOB/med kits
« on: October 08, 2015, 01:29:58 PM »
If you don't already have this in your kit, please read the article and decide if this will work for you.

http://www.doomandbloom.net/topical-skin-glue-in-survival/

I do have regular 'superglue' and it can be used, but there are other varieties which may work better...

Cost is minimal but expect a surcharge for "medical" types as opposed to plain 'superglue'...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Re: "skin glue" for your BOB/med kits
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 11:20:03 PM »
I've had gel super glue in my medical bag AND separately in my bob for a few years as I read that it was originally designed for use by medics in Vietnam. And remember, if you glue yourself together, use fingernail polish remover to get yourself unstuck. (an old modeling trick) Get my glue from the dollar stores, BUT I've had this stuff go bad on me, as in the tube becoming hard as a rock/unusable. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2015, 10:33:52 AM »
I've also had tubes of "super glue" dry out, even when unopened.

The ones which lasted (never dried out if unopened) were totally metal tubes which required that the end be punctured to dispense.  I can't find this type of tube (metal) anymore, but it may still be available...

The ones that dried out were plastic tubes.  I'm guessing that the solvent was able to pass through the plastic itself (planned obsolescence and marketing tactics...).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2015, 12:03:48 PM »
ANY of the ones I have bought ANY WHERE, all have a "metal" tube, much a toothpaste tube and even unpunctured, they still dry out/get rock hard. But, I've also been using super glue gel made for plastic modelers and even after 6 months, they don't dry out provided care is taken in not opening them until needed. They come with a  plastic tip that I open with a sewing needle, plastic screw on cap and a very, VERY small hose to insert partially into the bottle tip which you cut to length needed. When done, remove and toss the hose. You get something like 3-4" of tubing. When using this stuff, make sure the tube tip is absolutely clean when done, other wise you'll get a glue build up and before too long the cap won't be able to fit/make a tight seal, you got a rock hard bottle. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2015, 10:46:39 AM »
Thanks for the tip, I'll look for the gel type super glue and test it.
I'll report back if they fail (could be months...).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions