Home Page

Prepper Radio Net Chat 05/03/23

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« on: May 04, 2023, 06:45:32 PM »

Deborah @KJ7YAK 8d
Just dropped by to say Hey! We are in Alabama, Ralph already has a job and we already have a house.

Deborah @KJ7YAK 8d

Deborah @KJ7YAK 8d
Miss you guys a lot. Take care.

K7IN - Paul @K7IN 8d
Hi Debora! That is a VERY nice looking place you have found. I am glad things are working out and you can get settled into your new life.

Deborah @KJ7YAK 8d
Hi Paul.

Deborah @KJ7YAK 8d
Thanks.

Deborah @KJ7YAK 8d
I really didn't expect anyone to be here before I left since it's an hour until the net.

Deborah @KJ7YAK 8d
Unfortunately 20:00 hours there is 22:00 hours here and we have to get up at 04:30 tomorrow. I will check out the chat tomorrow between chores. I am doing a bunch of food prep this week. Trying to re-stock my freezer.

Deborah @KJ7YAK 8d
Feels kinda weird prepping for tornadoes instead of wildfires...

Deborah @KJ7YAK 8d
Night Paul. Take care.

K7IN - Paul @K7IN 8d
Good night, Deb. I'm glad you have a very sturdy home. Tornadoes are not very nice and I hope you have a shelter there. Good to hear from you too! Please check in as often as you can. I'm sure others are happy to connect.

David - K7DWW @k7dww 8d
Hey Paul

David - K7DWW @k7dww 8d
Hi Keith

David - K7DWW @k7dww 8d
Hi Wandering

K7IN - Paul @K7IN 8d
Hi David

JC @JC 8d
I think mine showed up as Wandering before I signed in properly. So hi, David!

David - K7DWW @k7dww 8d
Hi JC

Idaho70 @Idaho70 8d
Hi David and JC

K7KBJ @guest948386 8d
I'm in

JC @JC 8d
Hi, dad!

K7KBJ @kjuenke 8d
Is that JC my son?

K7KBJ @kjuenke 8d
HeeeeHeeeee

Idaho70 @Idaho70 8d
Going religious on us Ken?

K7KBJ @kjuenke 8d
Going???

JC @JC 8d
Well this is awkward because I'm not the son
[/size][size=0px](wink)[/size]

Idaho70 @Idaho70
8d
You certainly not the son. Looking forward to seeing you Friday.

JC @JC
8d
Me too! Since I'm beginning this journey, any advice on earthquake and volcano prepping I'm all for learning!

Idaho70 @Idaho70
8d
Very small chat room tonight.

David - K7DWW @k7dww
8d
Ken...Possible 1st queston - WE talk about "Gray Man." Not advertising or standing out as someone that is prepared. What steps or techniques do you use to practice that technique.

KK7CON- Kristin @KK7CON
8d
Good Evening everyone!!

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
JC, email me at [font=Varela Round !important]k7kbj@arrl.net[/font] and I will send you some links that may help answer your questions.

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
Hi Kristin

JC @JC
8d
Oh, I like that question. We just moved to a new area and I'm hesitant of this and haven't heard of "Gray Man." And I'll send an email now!

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
Oh, JC must be Keith's son. I could'a read more.

David - K7DWW @k7dww
8d
Possible question #2 - If, God forbid an event occurs and will last several weeks...and if the repeater system goes down...what types of HF antennas do you recommend and why.

JC @JC
8d
I'm Keith's daughter, but yeah, tied to him
[/color]
[/size]
[/size][size=0px][/color](smile)[/size]

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
David. Sure, grey man is always a good topic. We can combine that with hiding preps in plain sight.

David - K7DWW @k7dww
8d
And the other ?

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
Oops ! JC, sorry. Couldn't tell
[/color]
[/size]

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
Yikes, too many antenna choices depending on where you live and how much room you have. That could take a long time.

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
IMHO

David - K7DWW @k7dww
8d
so...

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
I know. I know

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
Hahahahahaha

David - K7DWW @k7dww
8d
Hi Kristen

David - K7DWW @k7dww
8d
A picture can say so much

Idaho70 @Idaho70
8d
Now you have done it David, you have given Ken a headache.

David - K7DWW @k7dww
8d
I can hope Keith

David - K7DWW @k7dww
8d
Welcome Jerry

KK7CON- Kristin @KK7CON
8d
Miss you Deborah!! Hope you are settling in ok.

K7KKX - Jerry D Young @K7KKX
8d
Hello. Sorry I missed Deborah.

8d
Good questions. I tried the repeater again. Not ready yet.

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
Jerry, I try the repeater about 3 times a day.

8d
Wow!

8d
I try to be Gray Man at times. I cannot do it all the time as I need to be me and know for publicity purposes. I do have a couple of articles I have written. I will post them, along with several others that I should have posted a couple of weeks agaon.

K7IN - Paul @K7IN
8d
The Virginia Peak repeater and links radios will be back up if all goes according to plan, sometime in May. The repeaters are being replaced with new equipment and most of the link radios will remain that are working properly. So, give them a couple of weeks but, check as often as you like.

8d
Kilo Seven Kilo Kilo X-ray checking in from Winnemucca via [font=Varela Round !important]nnpg.net[/font] chat Jerry[font=Varela Round !important]

The Northern Nevada Prepper's Group - Home
The Northern Nevada Prepper's Group[/font]

8d
Will do, Paul. You may have told me that already and with the memory problems from Gabapentin and age, I probably forgot.

8d
Boy, everyone is sounding good tonight.

8d
Gray Man (or Woman) I try to wear decent but older clothing. Nothing flashy of course, Unless the environment where I am located is mostly people in flashy clothing. The point of gray man/woman is to look like those around you. A person will stand out in very plain clothing if everyone else is dressed very upscale.

8d
However, in general, subdued clothing styles and colors without identifying marks, logos, etc. Also avoid clothing with slogans, symbols, and such. Especially those that are politically or socially controversial.

8d
I use gray man/woman. lol

Idaho70 @Idaho70
8d
Gray is the new show off. Things are getting dicey to say the least so go gray and stay there. Keep quiet and keep your stuff out of sight or well disguised.

8d
Obviously military packs really stand out. Using subdued color day packs or book bags, messenger bags. Using computer cases can invite an attempt to steal it.

JC @JC
8d
For smaller items, maybe use a yoga pad bag? No one pays attention to that

8d
Exactly correct, Idaho. I cannot remember your name. I am sorry. Referemce my memory problems.

8d
Or roll compact things up in a yoga pad with a strap around it if you do not have a pad bag.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
8d
Idaho is Keith and JC is my daughter

8d
I will dry to remember. With that post I can scroll up and check for it.

8d
Gray Woman, avoid tall spike heels, not only to avoid attention but to be able to move fast and surely if needed.

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
Yes, yoga bags would probably be good because they are ordinary and not unusual these days.

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
Something like an attache case chained to your wrist.... horrible idea !

8d
Gray man/woman food can be kept in a small pantry for a couple of days. The rest kept in a separate pantry or other area that is not visible by visitors.

8d
I have never seen a yoga bag of which I am aware.

K7KBJ @kjuenke
8d
I freeze dried some raw eggs. Totally awesome!!!! They hydrate and cook up perfectly.

8d
One item I intend to get when I can afford it is a Scott-e-vest. It is similar to a fisher person's or photographer's vest except the pouches are on the inside. There are various models with different numbers of pouches.

JC @JC
8d
My mom freeze dries eggs! Truth be told, I've been using them given egg prices. So good! Egg tacos always make a great day!

8d
For HF radio comms during relatively minor situations I like the screwdriver antennas. I have a couple of favorites but they are both pretty expensive. However, there are a couple of less expensive versions available. Some can go from 6m to 80meters. A few can do 160 meters with add-on kits or are part of the original unit.

8d
Most can be mounted on something like a patio table, especially a metal one. On a stake in the ground, a tripod that is tied down. Or simply have it mounted on a vehicle like normal.

8d
It is a balancing act. However, I think with some outside-the-box thinking Gray man/woman can be achieved. Again, the articles I mentioned have quite a few of those kinds of ideas. I am not sure how many go to [font=Varela Round !important]nnpg.net[/font] forum and look at the articles, but they are there.[font=Varela Round !important]

KK7CON- Kristin @KK7CON
8d
Good Night!

David - K7DWW @k7dww
8d
The very best to everyone

8d
Oh. I am now out of all the storage rooms I had in Reno. Will be unloading the trailer Friday.

8d
Good night all.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
8d
NIght all, got to put the chickens to bed.

8d
Say good night to them from me, Keith. lol

K7IN - Paul @K7IN
8d
Storage of prepper supplies can also be done in the crawl space of your home using plastic containers with dessicant pods. These should have a good seal on their lids and can be easily labeled for content. Access is usually through an outside hatch but, you can also cut one into a closet inside the house. That way your supplies are out of sight to anyone coming into your house. Having an access hatch in a closet means you can get to what you need without having to go outside your home.
[/color]
[/size]

JC @JC
8d
Goodnight everyone, thank you for all the knowledge!

8d
I have used totes full of preps instead of a bed frame. With a... cannot remember what it is called, but the ruffled cloth hanging down from under the matteras to the floor to cover the fact that there are totes instead of a bed frame. I use a two-wide by five end-to-end under my twin size bed. That was twenty totes full of preps.

8d
And Good Night again. For real this time. I need to take my meds.

8d
A couple of trips to Reno and half a dozen between my two small storage rooms here to a much larger one here has completely wiped me ouit physically and the theft has done the same thing mentally and emotionally.

K7IN - Paul @K7IN
8d
Good night all!

Deborah @KJ7YAK
8d
Good Morning Ken

Deborah @KJ7YAK
8d
K7IN - PaulStorage of prepper supplies can also be done in the crawl space of your home using plastic containers with dessicant pods. These should have a good seal on their lids and can be easily labeled for content. Access is usually through an outside hatch but, you can also cut one into a closet inside the house. That way your supplies are out of sight to anyone coming into your house. Having an access hatch in a closet means you can get to what you need without having to go outside your home. :)Hey Paul, that is a great idea. It doesn't work out here because there is no crawl space. We do however have a smallish attic that we are adding a floor to with garage access.

Deborah @KJ7YAK
8d
K7KKX - Jerry D YoungHello. Sorry I missed Deborah.Sorry I missed you too Jerry!

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Good evening

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
JC...Your dad lives in idaho...what state do you live in?

JC @JC
23h
Hello! I just moved to the Washington Peninsula

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
WOW! Is there any chance you will join him for the TRT run event?

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Hi Jerry...how are you?

JC @JC
23h
I'm looking into it for sure!

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Really...it would be great. We have a great station and it's loads of fun.

JC @JC
23h
He always talks about how great it is for sure

23h
Hey, David. And JC. Been better. Couple of bad days. I will punch out of it soon. Got one of the meds I have been waiting to come in. It should help get my blood sugar back down.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
23h
Hello all

23h
Still ambulatory and driving okay, so that is all good.

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Glad to hear you got the meds...Hope you get to "dancing" soon

23h
Man, me, too.

23h
Hey Keith. I think.

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Ken...Possible question #1...what benefits will "packet" radio play in the event of an emergency?

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Hi Keith

Idaho70 @Idaho70
23h
Glad you could make it, you always add so much to the discussion. Keith

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Keith...we had snow two days in a row...Tell me Idaho is warmer!

23h
Since not too many people are geared up for packet it would make a good control channel for leadership people.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
23h
Hit 87 yesterday and 84 today. Too hot.

23h
We had a couple of those days over the weekend here in Winnemucca. Hit me like a ton of bricks.

23h
Like walking into a wall when I went outside.

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Ken...Question #2 - We've discussed chickens and rabbits as good prepper animals...what others should be considered and why

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Had 2 inches this morning, but all gone by 10:30

Idaho70 @Idaho70
23h
Snow is pretty much gone up here, but now comes the road repairs and such and then onto preparing for the next winter. But right now spring and summer are absolutely beautiful. Rivers running very high.

23h
If there is a group that can provide the breeding stock and keep the genetics viable I would say a milk cow. It does take quite a bit of infrastructure however, with needing to be freshened every year, birthing the calf, and doing without the milk for those months between breeding and delivery.

23h
I would say pigs would be the next best choice until a group could support a milk cow.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
23h
Heat changing so quickly is very toiugh.

23h
Sounding good on the link on the computer.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
23h
Quail, guinnie (sp) hens. Protein, eggs and security sirens. Worms for fishing, improving ground and feeding the birds.

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Ken's not available...I've got th net tonight...

23h
Those with packet will have an advantage over those that do not with the reliability and clarity that packet can make possible. Less traffic interference I believe. Certainly not an absolute, but better than many of the alternatives.

23h
Good points, Keith.

David - K7DWW @k7dww
23h
Hi everyone

23h
I tend to think of the main stock animals such as chickens, pigs, milk cow, beef cattle.

22h
Hey David.

22h
Hey Stacie.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
22h
Gotta keep the birds fed during winter. No bugs to forage on unless you set up your own bug growing facility.

W7LTE @W7LTE
22h
Hi everyone

Stacie @KJ7RNN
22h
Hi Jerry and everyone!

22h
I think, with a vertical grow aquaponics greenhouse, worm beds, and rabbit hutches bugs could also be herded and kept for the various other birds and such. Year round.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
22h
I like the stock animals also as I grew up on a cattle ranch. Need to add goats to list on animals as well as sheep. Cows take up a large area, also include horses for work and travel. People with smaller places can make do with milk and meat goats and sheep.

22h
I know. I just do not like goats or sheep. We had both a couple of times when I was growing up on the tiny homestead. They were so much work for so little gain.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
22h
That is a really good idea about vertical growing

22h
Of course we had two milk cows that were serviced by one or the other of a couple of our friends with bulls. 25 or so chickens, usually two runt piglets we got from our landlord who was a cattle and pig farmer and always had a few that would not make it without special care.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
22h
Pygmy goats can produce a gallon or more of milk per day. Being a beef cattleman I must admit I really hate milking animals twice a day.

22h
I think the combination of a good greenhouse, vertical grow system as part of an aquaponics system with the rabbits and worms completing the circuit.

22h
I was too young to have to milk. I was the chicken herder and dog feeder and waterer.

Idaho70 @Idaho70
22h
Rabbits give you protein and fertilizer which will keep the worms happy and thus happy and full chickens.

22h
Kilo Seven Kilo Kilo X-ray Jerry in Winnemucca.

W7LTE @W7LTE
22h
Anyone have any experience driving a Sandpoint well?

Peaceful Companion @guest1283464
22h
Hi K6ST

22h
That is for sure. And worms are a treat for the fish, as well. I believe that a chicken coop can be build against the greenhouse with limited access to the garden for bug control. A large protected run plus a couple of chicken tractors to essentially free range the chickens.

22h
K6ST-Barry

22h
Is Ken here

Stacie @KJ7RNN
22h
Ken is out of town this week.

22h
K6ST-Barry

22h
ok

22h
I will check i with a couple of questions

22h
Did a bunch in southeast Missouri. First by hand and then my father build a mechanical driver that made it much easier. We went to 2" wells after he made the driver where before 1 1/4" was about all we could manage. We did a couple of 2" driven wells by hand and it nearly killed us both.

22h
We found a really high quality point that had features that made it much better than the standard points with the screen on the outside of the pipe. I will find a link and post it in chat on [font=Varela Round !important]nnpg.net[/font] chat.[font=Varela Round !important]

Idaho70 @Idaho70
22h
My chickens overnight in a conex for bear protection. During the day they are free to roam.

W7LTE @W7LTE
22h
I've been trying for a couple days. Hitting sandstone (I believe) about 6 feet down. I can't figure out how to get through it. I've pounded and pounded and nothing. Tried an earth auger to drill down a bit and got stuck at the same point with that too.

22h
I will also post my articles and drawings of that driver and the method we used to jet PVC wells.

W7LTE @W7LTE
22h
I'm in water about three feet down, so it'll work until late summer. But it won't be reliable. Lol

22h
When you drive a point into sand it is like gripping the pipe in a vice that has sandpaper on the jaws. It locks it up tight. It takes lot of hammering to get through it. Or, perhaps switching to jetting the point in.

W7LTE @W7LTE
22h
I'll check the forum and see what else you post Jerry.

K7KKX - Jerry D Young @K7KKX 22h
Nor safe. Water that shallow will have all kinds of stuff in it.

W7LTE @W7LTE 22h
Exactly. We just use it for bathing, not ingesting in any way though.

Okay. I will put up all my water and wells articles before next Wednesday. I will try to get it up tomorrow.

Ah. That is not so bad. What has the draw been?

W7LTE @W7LTE 22h
I haven't actually tried pulling from the well yet. We've been pulling water straight out of the creek for the last year.

I tend to agree, Johann. More people will have analog than any other mode. CW would work if you hand send. Given power a Morse generator reader would help, I think. Part of it depends on the goal of the conversation is. Some things need to be as private as possible. Some of it needs to be heard by as many people as possible.

Okay. Got it. Is the creek close enough to where the well needs to be to provide water to use to jet a point in?

Actually pulling from a tank is better so the water can be recycled the easiest.

Which is needed to get enough clays in the water to help seal the hole as it goes down. Long enough to get the pipe and point to the bottom of the hole.

W7LTE @W7LTE 22h
Yeah. We have surface water maybe 20ft from where the well is going.

Did you dowse the property for the location for the well?

W7LTE @W7LTE 22h
No, just went to the lowest point that is easily accessible, and where I know there is water year round because I dug a hole 🤣

Oh. With surface water right there just about any location should be adequate. We just had a policy that if we dowsed we guaranteed a minimum of 5-gallons of water or more. If it was lesss we did not charge them.

That works, too. lol

Idaho70 @Idaho70 22h
Dousing for water is pretty accurate if done by someone who knows what they are doing. My Dad always said he did not believe in it, but boy could he find the water with a willow fork.

Yep. In over 500 wells we put in after I started dowsing we did not have a single failue. Cannot say the same for the 50 or so that we put in before I began to dowse.

W7LTE @W7LTE 22h
That's really cool.

Idaho70 @Idaho70 22h
Jerry has the touch!

Thank you!

W7LTE @W7LTE 22h
I'll check the forum in a couple days for your info. I think jetting might work. If that doesn't I'm about to the point that I'm going to dig a huge hole down to whatever I'm hitting and go at it with a pickaxe. That should keep me busy for a few days. Hah

You would not believe the stuff I have found myself doing.

Idaho70 @Idaho70 22h
It is truly amazing the things that we now deny in our tech world that really worked back in the day.

Beg, borrow, or ... a small rotortiller to break the gound up for easy shoveling. Be sure to have plenty of ventilation, though.

Yep. My father doubted the dowsing, but after went back and checked some of the wells already in and those that showed being in a stream were the good ones and those went in between streams might have had water but the quantity was much less. He was convinced.

Okay. I found the article about driving steel points and the links are still valid that show the good drive couplings, drive caps, and the points we used. I will get it up right after this net.

W7LTE @W7LTE 22h
Awesome

I am pretty sure I can find the jetting article pretty quickly, too.

After you look at the material and have any questions you can PM me on [font=Varela Round !important]nnpg.net[/font] and I will give you my phone number so you can call for clarifications.[font=Varela Round !important]

Those swap meets are fantastic! Go if you can.

Wish I could get down to it. I need a new HF radio since the one I had was stolen and not much luck finding it or any of the other things taken.

W7LTE @W7LTE 22h
Sounds good. I'll check it all out tomorrow. I have to go get some sleep, it's almost midnight and I can barely keep my eyes open anymore. This getting old thing sucks!

W7LTE @W7LTE 22h
Gnight y'all!

Understood. Yeah, but it sure beats the only alternative!

CW is the best weak signal mode.

While not as good as a good ear and good hand for receiving and transmitting the CW (Morse Code), using a box that reads the signal and displays the letters and the box that takes keystrokes and converts them to the Morse Code and sends it to the transmitter.

Like any electronic system, these converters, as good as they are, just simply cannot do quite as well interpreting a a weak signal Morse code CW signal.

Good night all.

Idaho70 @Idaho70 22h
Goodnight Everyone. Stay safe until next week.

JC @JC 22h
Good night everyone!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)