Home Page

Jerry?

Jerry?
« on: March 29, 2023, 09:04:09 PM »
Have noticed no Jerry on the net for awhile, but still active online. Tried sending a PM but no response or doesn't go anywhere. Jerry, you off the airwaves for a bit voluntarily or radio equipment on the fritz?

Alain
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Jerry?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2023, 11:18:54 AM »
I do not see any messages in my in box.

Explanation to my net absence.

I now live in Winnemucca, NV. I was priced out of my apartment in Reno in early 2022. I was living in a Tiny House a friend had on his property until I could find something else. In August of 2022 I started feeling much worse than usual and finally asked my friend to call an ambulance. (Normally I just drive myself even when I am feeling pretty bad, but not this time.)

When I got to the hospital, they took blood a couple of times, did CT scans, and X-rays, they put me in a room to wait for some results. I began feeling worse, then began to breath out green goo with every exhale and had trouble inhaling. They immediately put me in surgery, where they removed 3-liters of puss from between the ribs on my left side and the lining around my left lung and other organs.

I was told I flat-lined twice on the table. Anyway, a week of not having any idea where I was, who I was talking to, recognizing family members, another week of more of the newest, strongest anti-biotics being produced with a bag change every four hours of each one, the infection was knocked down enough for me to be taken from the ICU back to a ward. A day later I was sent to a rehabilitation facility to get me back on my feet (literally as I did not have enough strength to walk), and work on getting my mental acuity back (I could not remember things, think very well, solve any sort of mental test), and continue the antibiotics to finish killing the pneumonia.

Total time out of circulation of over a month and I could be released. Despite my family and friends trying to find an apartment I could afford, with all the assistance places having a two to three year waiting period, when I was released I stayed with my brother and his wife in Winnemucca, NV for several days until a room became available in a boarding house here in town.

The first couple of weeks I was here, I was able to get on the net through the nearest repeater here near Winnemucca. Well, something happened to the links and/or connected repeaters that is the SNARS repeater system that connected areas from well into California to well east of Winnemucca and I have not been able to get on the net since. The local repeater works, but not the connections to the SNARS network.

I am getting on the nnpg.net chat room for the net every Wednesday and listen to the net on the embedded player and using the text chat to participate.

I will not say I am well and good, as I am still recovering and am some ways from being back to where I was before the hospital stay, but definitely better than I was there for a while.

The SNARS team will have the problem fixed as soon as they can get back up on the mountain. Right now there is too much snow and ice up there to make it nearly impossible to get there, and way too dangerous to even try.

You can use the chat even if you on the net or listening without transmitting, or listening through a scanner or one of the online scanners.

I am still around and mobile, just not close enough to another repeater to hit the net.

Thank you for the concern and asking about me.

Jerry
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
beorn,
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2023, 03:24:44 PM »
Sorry to hear your health took a hit. Sounds like it got about as serious as it can get while staying topside of the dirt. Glad to hear you are on the mend.

On the wrong side of a bad repeater would be a minor technical difficulty. Things are drying out fast around here so should not be long before the SNARS Technical Team can get back on Virginia Peak. As of the last meeting they are planning on a new repeater up there. Monthly meeting tomorrow, likely they will have an update.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline beorn

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2023, 01:46:36 PM »
Glad you are among the living Jerry I hope you continue to improve. I truly don't understand the whole SNARS network thing but it used to be I could listen in on prepper net here in Elko on a Wednesday night but the last couple of years it has not connected to Reno area repeaters. However I think Winnemucca will access the repeater networks over here in Elko county even up into Twin Falls Unless this winter has shut everything down.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions