Home Page

Some information on Riesentraube tomatoes

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Some information on Riesentraube tomatoes
« on: February 22, 2023, 11:52:15 AM »
Since I posted the information on Indian Red Jungle Fowl chickens for preppers, I thought I would go ahead and post information on one of the tomatoes that I plan to grow if I ever have a garden of my own.

[/size]Riesentraube Tomato [/size]76-85 days- This old German heirloom was offered in Philadelphia by the mid-1800's. The sweet red 1-oz fruit grow in large clusters, and the name means "Giant Bunch of Grapes" in German. It is probably the most popular small tomato with seed collectors, as many enjoy the rich, full tomato flavor that is missing in today's cherry types. Large plants produce massive yields.

Do well in 100+ degree summers when the other larger tomatoes stop producing. Highly recommend these to folks with short growing season since they produced loads of tasty fruits all summer long even in hot drought conditions.
In Chicago, they ended up pulling the whole plant out before the 2nd frosts (they where covered up before) and hung them upside down in the basement and we still had tomatoes right before Thanksgiving!
[/size]
                Riesentraube Tomato[/b]
Harvest 76 to 85 days after transplanting 
German heirloom 1 oz. red cherry tomato Mature Height 5 feet; Mature Spread1.6 feetSow 42 days before first frost dateGerminates in 12 days average Sowing depth 3/4 inches with soil higher than 54
« Last Edit: February 22, 2023, 11:55:31 AM by Jerry D Young »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Some information on Riesentraube tomatoes
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2023, 07:07:03 PM »
Jerry, any luck finding seeds for that Riesentraube tomato locally?  Curious gardener wants to know... ;)

I have several Roma plants growing now, as you know.  But the small cherry-sized ones would work well in my dehydrator.

TWP
« Last Edit: June 22, 2023, 10:11:13 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.