Home Page

Knives reviewed

Knives reviewed
« on: April 09, 2016, 10:39:33 AM »
First is the Marbles Boy Scout type pocket knife which is available via Amazon or Ebay. Cheapest price (so far) is Ebay at $11 w/free shipping. Bought my first one about 8 months ago and so satisfied, bought 7 more for my bobs/edc. Made in China and made of stainless steel. I think it's not only a great basic pocket knife but much better than the Swiss Army knives because you don't have to worry about breaking the plastic handles on the Swiss knife. I've also used it to baton very small branches with it. The entire knife (without the fob thingy) measures 3 1/2" with the main blade being just short of 3". Got one attached to my key ring.

Next is my gurkha or as some call it, a kuri. Bought from Amazon for $50 over a year ago, but don't remember if there was a shipping charge or not. Think they're going for $60 now. Mine has the leather handle, though there are those with wood handles. A wood handle is something I avoid because eventually it'll crack...at least I think so. It's made in Nepal and the manufacturer has a web site called House of Gurkha showing their different models and how they're made. I've had it for over a year, using it all the time for chopping/cutting/batoning wood.

The last item is the Colt Jungle Commander and the only reason I'm putting it here is because I really like it. The bad part is it's no longer made. If anyone sees one for sale around town, please let me know as I'd like to pick up at least another one. Found this one at lgs here in Sun Valley. When I'm doing general purpose cutting/batoning, this is my knife. For heavier chopping, it's the gurkha. Sent some photos of it to brother in Florida who told me since there are no swamps or jungles in Nevada, I should send it to him.  ::)  Called Colt to see where I could buy another (or 2) and when I told the lady about brothers comment, she laughed as hard as I did. Colt came out with 2 other knives that I looked at, but no thanks. The sheath has 2 pockets which now hold a ferro rod and small sharpening stone along with having some paracord wrapped around it. Didn't come with a sheath, which cost me $11 via Ebay and it's the original factory sheath.

There's a Chinese copy of this called Bad Blood and it looks just like Colts, except it has 1 long hole at the top of the knife instead of the 3 Colt has. Ordered one for brother and of course, had to check it out. As soon as I picked it up, didn't like it and I think it's a pos. Had other brother handle both and he couldn't tell the difference. Think BB goes for $20 ($30) via Ebay. 

The gun store is in the small shopping center near Warehouse Market. Jay (owner) sells more than guns but a lot of stuff as in used pocket knives (Swiss, Boy Scout types, Rambo/survival, etc.) along with military surplus items, fishing rods/reels, reloading stuff, etc. He ALWAYS seems to bring in new stuff which is why I try to hit his store once a week. Earlier this week got a brand NEW e-tool which still had the blue plastic around the shovel AND the old style, plastic cover for $17.00 plus tax.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions