Home Page

Printer types

Printer types
« on: September 24, 2022, 07:07:35 AM »
Been looking at 3d Printers quite a bit lately. Personally as a potential source of spare parts for things, especially as the supply chain keeps getting worse. I can potentially stockpile a lot of material then build what I need, assuming the computer and power keeps rolling. My son is very excited about the idea as he sees it as an unlimited supply of plastic toys....

Been trying to learn more about the different types and realistic potential. Especially in context of spare parts. Can one reasonably expect to print functional parts for water systems, valves, elbows,  for example or is it more limited to knobs and hinges and brackets?

Pretty well into the weeds with research on Resin vs filament, direct drive and so on. And of course what material it would print.

CAD programs take time and knowledge, running the printer takes time. Not sure it is practically worth messing with beyond as a toy. Also slightly counterintuitive to my usual leaning of simplifying for survivability.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Printer types
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2022, 01:38:26 PM »
I believe that it would do most of things in your list, except a couple that might need the strength of metal. Of course, you can print some of the item with the ability to incorporate metal parts in the printed part. Could even leave it in the printer when you add the metal parts and continue to print to complete I  item.

I cannot give much of an opinion on the filaments.I am pretty sure PLA (I think) is not too expensive and might be a good choice for practice prints.

The software to create the data that the printer uses is not a regular CAD program. They are specific to 3D printing. I cannot recall the names, but a search will find them.

Hope Ken and/or David will chime in. They both have 3D printers and know a great deal more than I do.

Jerry
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 05:23:07 PM »
The design program for 3d Printing is a CAD program. Varying degrees of such from very beginner all the way to Engineering. I have been learning FreeCAD and my son has been designing toys in TinkerCad for printing through the Library. Don't have a machine at home yet, but have Cura for a slicer, which is what the Library uses so we can estimate run times and possibly catch design issues.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2022, 06:55:39 PM »
Right. I was thinking of the Slicer step of the process. One of my friends uses a special 3D CAD program optimized for 3D printing.

Jerry
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Ken K7KBJ

• Skills - Engineering, Firearms, Electronics
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2023, 11:33:35 AM »
I use DesignSpark Mechanical for 3D Design.
I use CURA and Simplify 3D for slicers.
If you need an air tight model, filament printers are not the choice unless you design the model smaller than it has to be and then coat it with an epoxy or JB Weld to give it a water tight or air tight skin.
Resin printers make models that are totally air and water tight.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions