Home Page

Freeze Dryer

Freeze Dryer
« on: September 08, 2021, 08:46:47 PM »
Just some quick observations passed along from about 4 months with a Harvest Right Freeze Dryer, Medium size.

Overall a good piece of equipment. Set up and running is not difficult. Had a little minor trouble with software/firmware that required a little tinkering at the start. But nothing unmanageable and was well supported by the Harvest Right.

Medium size seems to be a perfect size for the batches I want to run and can practically make at a time. The trays are of a size that such things like stews and spaghetti come out about 2+ servings per tray.

Fruit, Berries and such freeze dry very well and easily. Though they do stick to the tray a bit. I have not ordered the silicone mats for it.
Frozen food in bags works out very well, about as simple as it gets to spread out and run.
Meats especially cooked meats dry well, fish does take a little beating on texture but nothing unexpected.
And yes, Ice Cream is amazing.

Only trouble I have run into over this long Summer is that where I planned to place it did not work well. The operation and system is quite sensitive to high temperature.Definitely start getting longer run times once it gets above about 75-80. And by 85-90 you get a warning of risk of damage if you run it. I had planned to set it up in my garage, and made that work with a window mount AC unit running behind the unit. But obviously that is quite an additional electrical demand. Going to have to move it to a cooler part of my house or shop before next Summer.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Freeze Dryer
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2021, 12:32:20 PM »
Great review. Thank you, Alain. And one more reason for me to want to get one.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)