Home Page

Hobo stove

Offline beorn

Hobo stove
« on: February 20, 2021, 08:48:32 AM »
Making a Hobo stove and testing with different fuels.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVpAbWEceCM&feature=youtu.be
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Hobo stove
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2021, 11:28:27 AM »
Excellent presentation, beorn. Thank you.

Although we had a Colman white gas stove for family camping, I was at least 30 before I ever used anything other than a hobo stove for solo camping.

And, though one has to be extremely careful, and the stove will burn out with only a few uses, if sand or very sandy dirt, is added to the bottom of the stove, to just below the feed door, gasoline or other high volatility fuels can be burned. Not too much at a time, and always, always, always, make sure the fire is completely out (it can be hard to tell since there can be hot sand, or even flames, below the surface, before adding any additional fuel. Basically, either pour water into the sand and then pour it out, or pour out the sand and add fresh, before adding those types of liquid fuels to the stove. I would not recommend them at all, except in cases of extreme emergency, and then only with appropriate safety measures, including a way to put out any fires around the outside of the stove, and on/in your clothing in case of getting fuel on them.

Do not light anything if you even suspect you have fuel on you or your clothing. In such situations, however, it can be easy to miss, due to stress, shaking, etc. Have heavy wool or canvas you can cover any flames tightly to put them out.

A good reminder of what can be made from essentially scrap materials.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline beorn

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2021, 06:06:10 PM »
Thanks Jerry for the wisdom I posted this on another site and had a lot of negative feedback mostly because of my handling of kerosene and I could have done a better job of demonstrating its safe use in this case.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 11:27:08 AM »
It does not make much difference whether or not a person is perfect or not perfect. Someone is going to complain.

I run into it all the time when I try to offer up some options to questions people ask on various forums. I can see half a dozen possibilities, but others simply say it is not possible, too expensive, too dangerous, is just stupid, does not even apply, and a bunch more stuff that does not even try to address the question being answered or the activity being done.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)