Home Page

Book Review: Handmade Hand Sanitizer: An Easy and Simple DIY

Book Review: Handmade Hand Sanitizer: An Easy and Simple DIY
« on: April 17, 2020, 11:10:02 PM »
Handmade Hand Sanitizer: An Easy and Simple DIY To Make A Natural Sanitizer At Home. Learn The Quick Recipe To Cre4ate A Tested Anti-Bacterial And Anti-Viral Solution And Have A Germ-Free Life.

Author: Andy Greene  Publications date April 8, 2020  Price: 4.99 Kindle, 6.99 paperback.

This book is another example of someone trying to capitalize from the COVID-19 pandemic though they evidently do not possess the skills needed to properly convey the information they are attempting to impart.  It is very poorly written by someone for whom English is not their native language, making for very difficult understanding of what they are trying to convey at times.

The opening paragraph of the book starts as follows:

“A hand sanitizer can be referred to as a substance, in gel or liquid form that is used to reduce the number of agents on the hands, which are responsible for infections. The hand sanitizer can be referred to as a popular substance in the healthcare setting because, of course, it is an environment that is bound to house a high level of harmful microscopic agents. It is also part of a pre-surgery prep routine. As I have said a couple of times, it is not a replacement for washing of hands with soap and water but is a complimentary agent.” [Emphasis added] As this is the opening statement for the book it didn’t take much effort to determine that the author has not repeating anything he has stated previously.

The book does not get much better from there.

While still within the introduction one can find this rambling, semi-nonsensical gem of information.

Location 157 of 1,210: “Alcohol free hand sanitizers might be successful rapidly, though on the stratum, be that as it may, the cures themselves may be tainted because of liquor is partner in-arrangement additive and with no, the principal liquor-free cure itself is at risk to sullying. In any case even liquor containing hand sanitizers may get tainted if the liquor content isn’t appropriately controlled generally all the sanitizer is debased with germs all through Back in Gregorian schedule month 2009, liquor-free Clarion Anti-Microbial Hand Sanitizer was pulled inside the U.S.A. showcase by the administration organization, that found the product included gross contamination of astoundingly significant degrees of different microorganism, similar to individuals who may” cause sinus diseases of the skin and fundamental cells and ought welcome on clinical or clinical guide furthermore to irreversible injury.”

Unfortunately that is a fair example of what much of the book is like. Poor punctuation, random capitalization of words and terms, repetitious use of words (“germs and germs” in one instance) and slightly rephrasing a point

Under Monthly Speed Cleaning: “Also, disinfect your coffee maker.”  By pouring alcohol through it? He doesn't say. I cannot imagine it would do much for the future taste of your coffee though.

When it comes to offering the recipes that you presumably might wish to purchase this book for you’ll find a very confusing mix of terms, including scouring alcohol, sustenance alcohol, hamamelis remove, [a reference to the plant from which Witch hazel is derived], bubbled water, refined water, distilled water, basic oil, an enormous container, nourishment grade liquor, shoe fundamental oil and other mixed and off-beat terms and directions. He also speaks of “good or bad alcohol” without illustrating what he means in understandable fashion.

Directions may include mixing gently, mildly, shaking, letting it rest for 72 hours before use, mix everything and store it, blend cautiously, shake before use, mix and use, lightly mix and more.

The recipes may also neglect to offer any measurements at all for the primary ingredient, i.e. alcohol of whatever form. At one point the author mentions a confusing array of methyl, isopropyl, ethyl, cetyl and other alcohols in an apparent attempt to inform the reader that some of them are very drying to the skin and perhaps not safe for topical use, though it is difficult to tell what message exactly the author was trying to convey.

Recommendations for isopropyl alcohol range between 60 and 99%. Despite earlier invoking FDA and CDC recommendations he seems almost unaware – save for a very brief mention later – that lower percentage alcohol content in the range of around 72% disinfects better because of the tendency of the higher grade (over 90%) to evaporate before it can break down the structure of the bacterium or virus.

Another fundamental error is witch hazel is touted as the disinfecting ingredient in some recipes. Witch hazel is not a disinfectant.

The book ends with several pages on personal hygiene that includes discussion of body image as a part of this. The author makes no lucid connection between hand sanitizers and body image but there it is.

The book may be useful for gathering a few ideas about variants for homemade sanitizer but there are other works out there that can offer the same while being written in a more or less literate, understandable manner. It is badly in need or proper translation, grammar and spell checking and standardizing of terms.

This review has been submitted to Amazon as a verified buyer. Of three previous reviews only one is a recommend. The Italians really didn't care for the book any more than I did.

https://www.amazon.com/HANDMADE-HAND-SANITIZER-ANTI-BACTERIAL-ANTI-VIRAL-ebook/dp/B086XCCLFB/ref=sr_1_5?dchild=1&keywords=Handmade+Hand+Sanitizer&qid=1587190076&s=books&sr=1-5
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Book Review: Handmade Hand Sanitizer: An Easy and Simple DIY
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2020, 11:13:57 AM »

Thank you! Another money saver for people looking for information. There are so many people out there that are trying to take advantage of the situation to make money. Sever people have suggested I do a pandemic story based on what is happening. I simply will not do it while this crisis is on-going. It just does not seem right to me.

Thank you for keeping us informed.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Re: Book Review: Handmade Hand Sanitizer: An Easy and Simple DIY
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2020, 11:53:39 AM »
I have others to do as well, just takes time to read critically rather than quickly as I am often wont of. It is pretty bad, though, when the Italians note that the author is not an English speaker.

I am working on another home hand sanitizer book that is at least fairly literate. Plus a couple of pandemic prep books. At least those that came out several years back tend to be more useful and accurate compared to the current rush-to-publish genre. Dr. Hofstrand's, though, still tops my list as far as useful.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions