Home Page

emergency water storage

Offline beorn

emergency water storage
« on: February 09, 2020, 06:33:41 PM »
I am going to link this here because I learned this from accidentally finding a small "farm" in the middle of outback Australia that used this exact water tank setup to water his "crops" it was all very geurilla gardening and he even used the huge rocks as water sheds/collecters to collect his water. It was nearly invisible to someone a few meters/yards away. I got out of there pretty quick but remembered what I had seen.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3pJOwaz-MM
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: emergency water storage
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2020, 05:49:16 PM »

Well done, beorn! And thank you.

I was not sure how many other preppers realized just how important and handy a tool a good roto-tiller is. Far more than just tilling a garden plot.

We have used them to dig driveway roadside ditches to divert runoff that was washing out the road. Long trenches deep enough so an 8' wide roll of sheet plastic would lay in it, up the sides, and be enough to lap over completely from each side. Some odds and ends of damaged plywood, particle board, a few pallets, and various other flat items went over the trench and most of the dirt dug out was thrown back over it all so it was not really obvious just what it was.

For a long trench you do need to be aware of where the upper level of the water will be. You do not want the water to just break out at a low spot in the top of the trench. And if he trench is not pretty level on the bottom, there will pockets of water that will not be accessible, or a high spot which will trap a great deal of water behind it from reaching the point where the water is drawn.

Having as much plastic and polymer sheeting as possible will allow a person to add a tremendous amount of water storage in a relatively short time. Assuming a rotor-tiller, as well. Not to mention all the other uses for plastic sheeting. If one can justify stocking some pond liner, that works extremely well for water storage in the ground, as that is what it is designed to do. From farm stores and yard decoration places that install water features will usually have a few different sizes.

Again, great job, beorn!

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)