Home Page

waterproofing matches

Offline beorn

waterproofing matches
« on: February 01, 2020, 12:24:31 PM »
This is a very good prepper and outdoor enthusiast idea.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VZKhPSMPSJc
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: waterproofing matches
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2020, 12:04:49 PM »

Well done!

I like the idea of wiping off the match head before striking. One of the reason I got away from using wax to help prevent water intrusion of matches were the facts that they often would not strike very well through the wax. The other was that after a period of time the wax would soften the match head chemicals and they would not strike at all. So, due to that, I still consider wax coated matches as short term items. Make up a few to take along before each trip, and use the last batch to make fires, or, more likely, light candles and lanterns where sparking tools are not very effective.

For longer storage I have been using clear fingernail polish. I coat the entire match so the wood is also protected. Since the coating is thin, and not waxy, they strike very well through the polish.

A couple of additional notes about coating matches with wax. When I do use that method, I coat about half of the match stick, as well. It does protect the stick from moisture for a ways, so any moisture to get to the head would have to travel up through the stick for some distance, which would really slow it down, I would think.

The other is something beorn illustrated, but did not comment about. That is how to hold the match when striking. Because people are afraid of burning themselves, most will hold the matchstick well back from the head. This method has a very high risk of breaking the match stick, especially with the poor quality of wood now being used in matches. If you will note in the video, beorn was bracing the head of the match carefully as he ran it across the striking material. No broken match sticks.

Though, I will say, I have my doubts about carrying an anvil, even a very small one, with me on which to strike matches. No matter how effective it is. lol

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline beorn

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2020, 04:14:20 PM »
LOL I almost always carry a small anvil in my vehicle in the form of a piece of railroad track or sledge hammer you would be surprised what you can do with a hard heavy hunk of steel  in a emergency.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2020, 10:19:50 AM »

lol

You do have a point. Sometimes a bigger hammer is just what you need.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)