Home Page

Slingshot balistics

Offline beorn

Slingshot balistics
« on: December 07, 2019, 05:11:11 PM »
I was just playing with my new chronograph and thought I would try out a slingshot when I was younger I pretty much always had one with me then when I got older I would carry one hunting for the chance at a rabbit or even a european carp on the top of the water.
I have seen some talk about a slingshot as a home defense tool for people who can't or won't own a firearm its not well suited to that but has a little merrit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-nBe5gtsgKo&feature=youtu.be
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Slingshot balistics
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2019, 11:53:19 AM »

Interesting. Do you have any info on what is required to stun and/or kill various small animals in terms of ft-lbs of force, and velocity to penetrate to the organs of the animals?

I have seen the Pocket Slingshot, the one that uses a closed end rubber tube attached to a ring that seems to work very well. I have made simple versions of this using balloons and large bottle caps. They work, but the balloons do not last too long, as they are a fraction of the thickness of the Pocket Slingshot tube.

They are also easy to adapt to use arrows with modified nocks. I know some commercial slingshots have attachments to allow the use of arrows, as well.

I had a decent slingshot when I was a child but never gained much skill with it. I simply did not, and still do not, have the eye hand coordination to be successful. And now, unfortunately, with my left arm and elbow so weak, I cannot support a slingshot in a proper grip. The DIY Pocket Rocket, since I can hold it in a manner that does not require me to hold out my left arm and support the weight, which is minor, or resist the pull with the arm extended. I can hold it down near my waist and brace my left arm. Though I cannot sight it that way, at least I can shoot it. And, I will say, I have decent accuracy that way. Though nothing compared to someone that can hold one conventionally.

Good video (except for the wind), beorn. Useful information and has convinced me to get one of the Pocket Slingshots at some point to put in my reserve equipment kit. Even if I am not effective with it, there is a good chance someone with me would be.

Thanks for the information.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline beorn

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2019, 06:55:23 AM »
Those small steel "hunting" projectiles can penetrate small animals up to a cottontail but not reliably or quickly kill, seen it happen.
Better a larger projectile like the marble for very small game which i have seen taken reliably or those heavy 600 grain lead balls which i have also expierienced success with larger and tougher game/vermin such as jackrabbit and skunk. its the shock that stuns or kills kind of the same reason you will use blunt arrows judo points in archery for small game.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2019, 11:08:08 AM »

Okay. That does make sense. Thanks, beorn.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)