Home Page

"Suburban Homestead" discussion

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
"Suburban Homestead" discussion
« on: August 01, 2015, 01:24:23 PM »
Suburban Homestead by Jerry D Young

Discussion started by Jerry D Young. What are your thoughts on the story?

Jerry
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline Clay

Re: "Suburban Homestead" discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 06:23:28 PM »
I just knocked this one out on the airplane. A great read, Jerry.

That suburban sounds awesome, maybe someday I could tackle a project like that. Where did you come up with the thought of that?

The story line is realistic, and very plausible. A question I had, is this kind of thing happening much in the Reno area? I've heard of suburban homesteads, but haven't heard of them locally. I think the concept is very good.

Dealing with a CSA type arrangement and having to deal with theft is a great point that I hadn't thought of before. What can you do about that? I think the characters handled it well, probably how I would have too.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 06:56:30 PM »
Clay, several of our members are doing Suburban Homesteads to one degree or another. Some on a larger scale. I wrote the story before I knew them, and was pleased to see that people really are doing such things.

You will have to explain the CSA type arrangement. I am not quite catching on.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline Clay

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 07:02:41 PM »
Oh, sorry. CSA, Community Supported Agriculture.

It's where a group of people get together and grow food on one lot in a neighborhood. Sometimes people pay for a small spot to do whatever they want, other times they all go in together and split the bounty and other cases are set up where a few do the majority of the work and everyone else pays for it.

There are a couple going in Nevada County that I know of. It's fairly popular.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 09:48:05 AM »
Ah. Okay. Makes sense. We did that here at the apartment building a couple of years ago. Several of us grew a small garden in the courtyard. Actually did okay, except everyone in the building decided it was a community garden for their benefit, whether they contributed or not. And there were way too many people that wanted to decide what everyone should do while they stood back and gave instructions. I put in quite a bit of money and did all the physical stuff I could. Did get some great tomatoes and summer squash, and several other things early on, but once it started producing well it was stripped every morning before I got down there to check.

But that one experience does not mean I do not believe in CSA. I do. But there needs to be a good plan, that everyone signs on to, and the garden has to be controlled fairly well, or it will be kept stripped of anything even near ripe. Or destroyed out of spite. There are always people out there that cannot stand to see people with more than they have.

In the story, I tried to show some of the problems and how to deal with them, among other things.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 09:53:31 AM »
Clay and Jerry,
  There were at least two "community" gardens in Reno, in the last few years.  I haven't checked on them for at least two years.  One was in a park and had a locked fence around it  The other was in an open field.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Clay

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 10:09:22 AM »
This brings up a good point about community property. Unless there is a clear agreement about what each party is going to get out of the deal, someone is going to feel cheated.

I share a garden plot with two of my neighbors. We each use one third of the space, and we don't really interact with each other except maybe the really big jobs. In my years here I haven't ever had a problem with a neighbor over it, even though one of the houses has a different tenant pretty much every year.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 06:14:04 PM »
I have not read this book yet.  Guess I'll have to put this on the list!  So many books, so little time!

Anyways, I am seeing the talk about community gardens here.  If there's folks interested in developing a community garden with the group, maybe we could work something out.  I'd be interested in doing something like that.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Keep calm and PREP on!

Offline TWP

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 09:40:14 AM »
Re the community garden idea.  We would also be interested.  Like all real estate, the important points are "location, location and location".  Our limited range (bike riding) is about two miles maximum from us.   The members of this group are scattered over the entire Reno-Sparks and outlier areas, not to mention our out-of-state members.

Security is a big worry in this urban setting.  Fencing would be necessary.  For example, the "Lost City Farms" garden is located in downtown Reno and has a tall, enclosing fence.

Hope we can do something like this.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 01:36:18 PM »
In last night's Amateur Radio net meeting, where the presentation and discussion was about the advantages of working in groups, I mentioned that I had brought up the idea of a co-op garden. A few people tried to shoot the idea down, stating that the government, or raiders, would just come in and take everything, or take it over. I then tried to point out that having a single large growing area is not the only way to have a co-op garden 'system'. That by sharing skills, tools, supplies, and ideas, much of the growing can be done in small plots, spread out over a wide area. Some at people's homes, and perhaps even some guerilla gardens. Where a person normally wants to grow a wide variety of foods in a home garden, by spreading things out, those that can grow certain items much better due to experience or the agricultural properties of the soil, could concentrate on those items while other people grow things more suited to their experience and growing conditions.

Where I cannot physically do much in a conventional garden, I can help in other ways. Also, as I have said before, I cannot  grow much 'food' here at the apartment. What I could do, as part of a co-op, is to grow herbs, inside, using grow lights. I do not think the authorities would be much interested in a small rack of herbs. Or just three or four tomato plants. Or a small straw bale bed of potatoes. Especially if that bed of potatoes was out in the boonies, kind of out of sight, the straw bales covered over with earth so it is not obviously straw bales. And kept watered with an aerial well that looks like a pile of rocks.

In other words, lots of options for individual and cooperative gardens.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline TWP

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2015, 02:37:12 PM »
I just downloaded and listened to the NNPG NET meeting.  I missed your discussion on community gardening???

I do like the idea of very small (micro) gardens.  We are apartment bound and limited to about two square feet in the window sills.  Right now, I grow basil for cooking.  I'm about to take a third crop, from the same plants.   I could plant more, with the intent of trading for other herbs and vegetables.

I'm also interested in trying to bring some of the wild Purslane, indoors.  It grows all over Reno, but too close to the roads for safe eating (too much lead left from gasoline).

Guerrilla gardens interest me also.  I am aware of places along the river which might be used for this...
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 02:45:54 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »
TWP, it was only a mention about the gardening idea. I did not actually discuss it.

Jerry
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young