Home Page

"Disaster In The 'burbs" discussion

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
"Disaster In The 'burbs" discussion
« on: August 01, 2015, 01:21:58 PM »
Disaster In The 'burbs by Jerry D Young.

Discussion started by Jerry D Young. What are your thoughts on the story?

Jerry
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Re: "Disaster In The 'burbs" discussion
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 06:32:48 PM »
Jerry, I commend you on this book and thank you for writing this story.

I have not read very many prepper or survival books.  This was one of the first and was a generous gift to me from Rob.  I sat down and started to read it and nearly finished it in one night!

It was so refreshing to read a story with the main character being a FEMALE!  And a strong, independent woman, with mad skills and intelligence!  So thank you Jerry.  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!

This story inspired me so much!  To read about a woman, making her plans, taking the steps to finish projects, having the skills to get shit done and be prepared was truly inspiring!  Not only did Darlene have the skills and knowledge to survive and provide for herself, but she kicked ass after the event!  Being the solid voice to re-establishing community, going out on salvaging missions and being very specific about what she was looking for, she really had her shit together!  I'll say it again, it's about damn time an author made the main character a kick ass woman!   

The annoying couple was brilliant!  The Noodles!  Those were some great characters!  I truly enjoyed them in the story.  There's always someone like that and I wanted to drive that woman into the ground on a couple occasions! 

And, you gave me hope at the end of the story.  Darlene was a single woman in the beginning but found companionship at the end.  Thanks for that Jerry.  Not everything has to be doom and gloom. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Keep calm and PREP on!

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 07:34:21 PM »
Thanks Glenda. It means a lot to get positive feedback on that story from a woman.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Offline Clay

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2015, 12:09:24 PM »
Well, I'm not a woman, so I hope my feedback counts too.

This is another great book, Jerry.

So, the main points I get out of the book are dealing with PITA neighbors and prepping for meteor strikes.

Luckily I have some pretty good neighbors, but honestly if things get bad you never know how that might change. Generally, is it best to keep quite with neighbors or to encourage them to prep? Any real experiences here are appreciated.

I thought the co2 blankets were a genius idea. What can you tell us about those?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2015, 07:03:18 PM »
Getting neighbors into prepping is fine, if they are inclined. Not so much if they are not. Those that are not, however, will feel no compunction about coming to your place for you to take care of them when needed. So, it is a very gradual process to feel out the neighborhood to find those that might be of like mind. Some people have started with a Neighborhood Watch team and expanded from there. Others with a community garden. Some with CERT teams. I do not know of a single absolutely surefire, foolproof method, other than joining a group such as this and eventually finding out who lives near enough to you to be considered a helpful neighbor in bad times.

As to the CO2 absorbent blankets, this is where I got the idea. They appear to be out of business.
http://onsiteair.com/

But the concept is great. I will have to look for some alternatives.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 08:23:02 AM »
It would be good if people were more consistent in life.  Hope you have better luck with neighbors and friends than I did.  Had a friend (and his family) I (and the family) prepped with for almost ten years and then over night he changed.  He pulled back and quit doing anything, sold off most of protection and then quit putting back food.  He blamed it on twenty five different things.  Just hope he does not show up on my steps when something happens.  Had a lot invested in the friendship and now it is over. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions