Home Page

Article - Meat Rabbits – What You Need to Know About Raising Rabbits for Meat

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
An overall good article but NOT inclusive.  You should have as many books (hard/soft or digital) on rabbit raising as you can find.

DO NOTE: this article is light on health problems of rabbits.  They do tend to have a well know set of problems and treatments... Hence your need for more books.

It is also light on discussion of feeds suitable for rabbits.  The author only mentions commercial rabbit pellets, alfalfa, Timothy hay and "treats such as carrots, apples, and whole sunflower seeds".

DO PAY ATTENTION to the advice on a stable diet, one without frequent changes in content.  Rabbits are like 2 year old kids, they don't like new foods.

Rabbit food (non-commercial) will be needed in any situation in which the supply of commercial pellets is cut off.  It is why we prep, right?  Consult your books on rabbit nutrition and be able to grow and safely store enough food to get your through a winder season, or longer.

https://commonsensehome.com/meat-rabbits/

I've raised rabbits myself and ran into some of the health problems, such as ear mites and some unknown disease which killed some of my rabbits.  I recommend that you have a way to isolate sick rabbits from the rest of the group.

RE slaughtering time, do yourself And the rabbit a favor and use a strong, sharp blow to the back of the head or forehead before you cut the throat...  While this may not immediately kill the rabbit, it will be unconscious and not screaming, biting and kicking as you make the throat cut.  If that makes you uncomfortable... You may choose to starve or you may pass this chore to someone with experience, or you can learn how to do it yourself.  Nobody said it would be easy, but you already know that.

You may find videos with explicit instructions on slaughter.  Try watching one of those to gauge your own reaction.

There are also guillotine type devices which make this a very quick process.  Available for both rabbit sized and chicken size animals.  Research this if you are considering raising rabbits.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.