Home Page

OPSEC - How a “location API” allows cops to figure out where we all are in real-

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Full title:

How a “location API” allows cops to figure out where we all are in real-time

Does your cellphone/smartphone reveal the location of your BOL (Bug-Out-Location)?  It might...

https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2018/05/senator-furious-at-polices-easy-ability-to-get-real-time-mobile-location-data/

From the article, this technology is being used (mostly?) by law enforcement, but with the porous nature of online databases, that does not limit access to the data by malefactors who want to learn where you've built a cache of prepper goods.

While data theft is one possibility, the companies who build these databases are also entirely likely to sell that data to the highest bidder...  Don't think this doesn't happen... Follow the money...
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 04:56:04 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline pengyou

• Think outside of the box to avoid being put in one
It doesn't mention whether or not this can be disabled in a cell phone.  Anyone have any ideas?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the early days, the settlers would band together and build their houses nearby for safety....it seems that we have to do the opposite now....sad.

Offline TWP

A websearch gives several, OLD, articles on how to disable "geolocation" API's.  I'm not certain that is enough with newer phones.  The know their own location by triangulation from cell towers.  That location maybe stored and/or sent on request to "home".

I found no clear set of instructions on how to disable API's which monitor location.  It is also likely to be different on different phones/operating system.

I'll guess that the manufacturers Don't want you to find these instructions easily...  You are their product, after all...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline pengyou

Is it a function of the phone or the grid system?  Specifically, if I were to dig out an old Nokia candy bar phone and use it, would I be protected?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the early days, the settlers would band together and build their houses nearby for safety....it seems that we have to do the opposite now....sad.

Offline pqtb

Iphones allow you to turn off tracking for most aps.  The pinging of cell towers by your phone cannot be turned off and that is what the police use.  Turning off geo location greatly reduces the value of a number of aps.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

pengyou;

I suspect that even older phones kept track of your approximate location using triangulation.  Don't know for sure and I avoid the problem by not owning a cellphone.

I do use a laptop which, when connected to the 'net, certainly gives an approximate location to the curious.

I agree it is a tough call and the evidence shows that few people choose to not participate.

pqtb;

My choice is to forgo the "benefits" of having those apps when I'm traveling.  I see many people, particularly the younger generations, who are "tethered" to their cell/smart phones.  It might be a very long leash, but a leash none-the-less.

I predict severe withdrawal symptoms if the cell network goes down...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pengyou

A vpn will go a long way towards hiding your internet presence.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions