Home Page

Raised beds - wood or metal?

Offline ken_

Raised beds - wood or metal?
« on: April 07, 2018, 07:35:02 PM »
Looking for thoughts on material to build raised beds. My thought was to use wood. My SO thinks galvanized metal would be easier. Both would cost about the same. The wood beds would be a little easier to build, but metal would give me an excuse to buy a new tool (SawzAll or something like that to cut the metal). My main concerns about metal beds are insulation and chemicals leaching out of the galvanizing and into the plants. Wood seems like it wouldn't heat up the soil as much in the summer and would better insulate during the winter. Are those valid concerns or not? Any input is appreciated.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Raised beds - wood or metal?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 10:14:10 AM »
I'd go with wood, untreated rough cut (if you can find it).  Cedar will last a long time whereas other woods may decompose after a few years.

I too don't like the galvanized metal idea due to leaching of tin and zinc.  Not that these will particularly harm you or your plants, but I'd just avoid the potential problem entirely.  Put that metal on your roof instead.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline owldancer

• Just a figment of the imagination!
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 02:29:12 PM »
I went with the cedar wood about 10 years ago and they are still in good shape.
If  I were to do it again I would still use wood.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline pengyou

• Think outside of the box to avoid being put in one
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 06:02:16 AM »
https://www.hgtv.com/outdoors/gardens/garden-styles-and-types/a-raised-bed-twist-straw-bale-gardening  Here is another method of "raised beds" though it consumes a bit more real estate to do so.  It is also possible to plant certain plants directly into the straw.  Straw gives you better insulation than either wood or metal, doesn't leach and may not last as long as cedar but can be repurposed after the bales have fallen apart - or even rebailed.  The down side, the straw bales might very well become home to a number of critters that will eat your veggies.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the early days, the settlers would band together and build their houses nearby for safety....it seems that we have to do the opposite now....sad.

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2018, 07:41:20 AM »
I can attest to the "critters" liking straw.  I had a raised potato bed which had 12-18 inches of straw on top.  Great big potatoes, but also some were nibbled on by something because they were easily accessible in the straw.

I'd still go with the straw, either used to build the walls of the bed or loose straw added as the plants grow taller.  This works particularly well with potatoes, but other plants benefit from a straw top layer.

Opinion:  Planting directly in the top of a straw bail will mean that the plants need extra nutrient addititions since the straw, by itself, is pretty low in everything but nitrogen.  A manure tea is a good start and adding trace minerals will make the plants happy.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Shortaxe

• Keep it simple and remember prepping is personal!
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2018, 07:25:40 PM »
Ken, We use wood up here. Just plain ol run of the mill lumber without treating it.
Have it in the both hoophouses and one outside bed and it's as good as the day I put it in.
Our two straw bales have finally played out, used them on the swales for cover when we took them down.
There is mixed opinions on treated wood. Some say it leaches, some say it leaches so slowly and not far enough into the soil to make a difference.
I just don't want it there since we grow organic so regular lumber.

Vic
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions