Home Page

Arnica chamissonis

Offline 230gr

Arnica chamissonis
« on: March 27, 2018, 02:42:47 PM »
Split the cost of getting potted plants to  reestablish my bed with my sister. I used this ointment all the time.

Arnica chamissonis
In herbal medicine, Arnica is among the most useful of remedies.  The tincture or oil infusion of the dried flowers, applied topically, is an effective treatment for blunt traumatic injury, strains and sprains.  The herb is an effective discutient, increasing circulation and helping dispel morbid matter--swelling goes down, bruises dissipate.  Since antiquity, Arnica has been combined with Calendula and Saint John's Wort, a dynamic threesome that assuages pain, fights infection, promotes nerve reparation and speeds healing.

Arnica enjoys a full sun exposure and loose, moist to mesic, acidic soils.  The plant is intolerant of lime.  Because it is rhizomatous (reproducing by way of underground creepers), it quickly populates a raised bed with a dense, monotypic stand.  We have found that amending the native soil with compost, coir, peat, and sand, making a very loose mix that can easily be penetrated by the runners, helps promote the spread of Arnica and will result in a good yield of medicinal flowers in the fall of the first year, in the summer of the second year and for years thereafter.  Harvest the flowers in early flowering stage and dry on screens in a warm, dark and well ventilated place.  Dry until crispy.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Arnica chamissonis
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2018, 04:41:03 PM »
I had to look up "coir":  coconut fiber

Might take a while to grow and need a tall greenhouse here in northern Nevada...

It can be stockpiled, but I would look for a substitute which might be available locally, post-event.

Perhaps, not sure on this, but cedar bark may serve this purpose.

Peat moss, if you have it locally or rice hulls if you grow your own.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2018, 04:46:32 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2018, 05:00:58 PM »
Might take a while to grow and need a tall greenhouse here in northern Nevada...

once established, it can withstand -33o F and only gets about 18" tall. Native to western mountain meadows but needs watering.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2018, 05:17:00 PM »
My height reference was for the coconut palm.

The Arnica sounds like something easily grown here.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2018, 10:40:40 AM »
coir is not necessary but it is very durable and works well for hydroponics growing.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions