Home Page

Article - 10 Shade Tolerant Edible Plants

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - 10 Shade Tolerant Edible Plants
« on: March 20, 2018, 02:11:20 PM »
When you haven't got good sun on a garden space, consider using plants which will grow in shade.

http://www.onehundreddollarsamonth.com/10-shade-tolerant-edible-plants/

• Celery–try this one in the heat of summer, when most gardeners can no longer grow celery.  The shade can provide a cooler place for the celery to be happy.
  • Asparagus–asparagus is a semi-shade plant, but I know lots of people who have been successful growing it in full shade.  Keep in mind, though, that it takes a couple of years before you get a crop.
  • Mint–mint is almost impossible to kill.  A lot of gardeners avoid it all together because they say it is invasive, spreading like wild fire.  It makes a great edible ground cover for a shady area though.
  • Bush beans–they actually prefer full-sun, but they can totally be grown in shade if you don’t mind lower yields.
  • Spinach–spinach loves the cooler weather, and the shade provides it long after spinach season would otherwise be over.  Try the New Zealand variety for even more success.
  • Arctic Beauty Kiwi–I really want these!  Apparently, it’s a vine that produces 10-15 pounds of fruit per year.   You’ll need 2 of them for pollination, but they are shade tolerant and cold hardy.
  • Swiss Chard
  • Kale
  • Lettuce–this is another one to try in the heat of summer.  Since it will normally bolt in hot weather, the shade can provide it a cooler place to thrive.
  • Honeyberries–I haven’t ever tried these, but apparently they are a cross between a blueberry and a grape.  You’ll need two of these for cross-pollination, though.[/l][/l]
[/list]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.