Home Page

Cubic meter hydroponics

Offline pengyou

• Think outside of the box to avoid being put in one
Cubic meter hydroponics
« on: March 14, 2018, 07:39:24 PM »
I LOVE reading the posts in this forum!  It is sooooo nice to not have to deal with foul mouths and stupidity being shouted at the top of people's lungs.

I have been looking through the web and through prepper websites for a while.  I am trying to find a plan that has information like:

In order to provide enough fruits and vegetables for 2 people to survive, you will need (for example) plants hydroponically grown in 100 feet of piping, with plants spaced 6" apart.

Does anyone have any insight to this?  I would like to someday write an article/ebook called "Cubic Meter Gardening For Survival" and provide material lists, plant lists, diseases and remedies, equipment, etc.  This would not only be great for prepping but also for the average person....no longer need to spend extra $$$ to organic veggies and fruits because you can go to your patio/garage/bedroom and pick them yourself.  Great for people on a fixed income.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In the early days, the settlers would band together and build their houses nearby for safety....it seems that we have to do the opposite now....sad.

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Cubic meter hydroponics
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 07:57:14 PM »
I've done small scale hydroponics ( about 40 feet of tubing) and that was over 30 years ago.  Yield was not great and I did not run the system for more than two years.

At the time, nutrients could be purchased at many garden / farm stores for lower prices than you will find today.  Inflation is a real factor in this.

I also tried making my own manure "teas" to feed the system, but faced the need to do lots of testing to determine exact content of the liquid.  Again an added expense.

I don't mean to discourage you from hydroponics but in terms of prepping, you'll need to stockpile those nutrients along with your other prepper stock (food, water, gear, etc.).

There are Many sources for hydroponic systems and supplies, it is an active business network.  We have at least two stores which cater to smaller hydroponic system.  One of these is just a few blocks away from us here in Reno.

Research, research, research...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Cubic meter hydroponics
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2018, 12:51:10 PM »
I do not have what is required specifically for hydro- / aqua-phnics in terms of requirements for specific yields. That will be highly system specific. But I do have quite a bit of information on regular growing yields, as well as consumption rates of many food and non food items. Let me know if you want this type of info, as well, so you can do some extrapolations and conversions once you have more information on the different grow systems.

Just my opinion

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)