Home Page

Aquaponics System Description

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Aquaponics System Description
« on: July 05, 2015, 10:27:10 AM »
This article contains a good description of a working Aquaponics system, both how it was built and how it is maintained.

Unfortunately no pictures were provided.

http://survivalblog.com/aquaponics-by-a-m-in-nc/

I think at least one of our members is doing Hydro or Aquaponics,  perhaps they would contribute some of their experience?

I note from this article that some plants are not suitable for hydroponic growing.  These include the root plants such as potatoes and carrots.

Other plants require careful attention to the nutrient balance and a good knowledge of both soil testing and plant nutrient requirements.  Add them to your needed skill set.

Also note the information about the types of fish suitable for growing.  It's not all Tilapia...  Note that Tilapia are illegal in Nevada, not that I consider this a loss.  Trout and salmon are possible as are still-water fish such as bream and crappie.

One final comment about such systems.  The pumping system requires electricity or a very well designed natural water flow.   This could be a major problem in a SHTF situation.  Solar panels may address this, but the design is critical...  I have not seen this point addressed in my internet searches, but I hope someone has published about this.  I'll keep looking.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.