Home Page

Article - Four Must-Have Energizing Foods For Survival Situations

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
First, there appear to only be THREE foods cited in this article.  Please don't take this as an indication that author forgot...

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2018/01/four-must-energizing-foods-survival-situations.html

Yes, coconut oil is probably Not accessible during an extended crisis, but honey and lentils can be a renewable resource.

You are welcome to guess (hypothecate) about what the fourth food might be.  I'll start:

Protein - in the form of animal meats.  Vegetable proteins, while good, are frequently insufficient as a replacement for muscle protein.  Eggs, come close and should be considered in all prepper diets.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2018, 07:14:01 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Article - Four Must-Have Energizing Foods For Survival Situations
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 05:21:07 PM »
I am getting a 404 message on the link.

http://americanpreppersnetwork.com/2018/01/four-must-energizing-foods-survival-situations.html seems to work. They look the same, so not sure what the problem is.

I suspect the editor put the four in the title, not the author, because in the summary it does mention three.

I agree with TWP about the coconut oil. Not sustainable without a huge investment in greenhouse space and operating expenses and personnel. (Would be nice, though, to grow bananas as well as coconut palms. And citrus.)

I believe olive oil and avocado oil, if the trees can be grown in a local area would be good. Not for storage, but long term sustainability they would work. I would stay away from rapeseed oil (canola) and soybean oil, as I think they have more harmful health effects than good. If one is growing yellowhorn trees for biodiesel production, it is also a good food oil, and can be grown most places.

My second choice would be a nut oil, with Brazil nuts being excellent, but not available here. Black walnut is what I would prefer, though most other nut oils, though none can be stored for long, would work well. But first choice after coconut oil would be suet, with lard in the very same class.

For a fourth high energy/energizing food I do not think I would choose meat, although TWP is correct in his statements about meat protein versus plant protein. But I consider proteins more a long time frame energy, rather than the quicker energy I believe is the focus of the article. So here is a list of some things that I would choose as the fourth:
1) Black walnuts (or other nut by preference) since they are a good oil and protein source, but also tasty, and portable for throughout-the-day consumption.

2) Eggs for the same reasons TWP listed.

3) Whole milk from a high butterfat producing breed of milk cow, for similar reasons as the eggs.

Now, if they could be DIY produced, I would say malt tablets would be a very good choice for on the go energy level maintenance, similar to the nuts. Malt is not that difficult to add to the diet, and is a very good idea, but most methods do not promote themselves to getting malt in quantity as a single item.

And, since it is not exactly a food, but a combination of foods, I did not choose an item that I think qualifies otherwise. And that is a high quality fruitcake. 85% or better fruit & nut ratio to batter, and preserved with a quality rum, packed in air-tight tins.

Just my opinion.

As to what I would add as a fourth item
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Article - Four Must-Have Energizing Foods For Survival Situations
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 07:13:29 PM »
Jerry, thanks for the link check (I did not do this, bad fingers!)  I've update my OP with the working URL.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.