Home Page

Article - 7 Super Cheap Foods To Stockpile That People Usually Throw Away

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Some Very good ideas in this article.  I use some of these myself, like saving all bones in the freezer and making bone broth about ever two months.

http://www.askaprepper.com/7-super-cheap-foods-stockpile-people-usually-throw-away/

My bread never lasts long enough to go stale, but I only make a couple of loaves at at time. YMMV

I like the idea of asking for expired milk at a grocery, but I'm not sure they can legally even give it away for free...  Not safe after expiry date, right????

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Article - 7 Super Cheap Foods To Stockpile That People Usually Throw Away
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 02:28:33 PM »
Bacon grease is the finest cooking fat and chicken (duck & goose oil) are most excellent for baking. We have made cheese with curdled goats milk and any soured milk is good in homemade bread.

I have been watching a blogger's video of his eating tour of east asia. He especially enjoyed street vendors and hole in the wall eateries. Bone broth is almost always a staple  and "organs" are very often a cooked a very long time in the broth. Intestines, stomach, kidney, liver and sometimes lung and kidney. The key is properly cleaning the intestines and making sure all the organs are very fresh. Sometimes the intestines are stuffed with a rice and blood mixture and cooked in the soup. A lot of peppers and spices are standard too (probably a good idea). They apparently tased pretty good as there was always a line up for them.

Sidebar: If you like Schezwan pepper (not related to true peppercorns), they have several American relatives; the prickly ashes. I have some of these small trees on my land and their dried fruit & seed do look like peppercorns and have a similar peppery taste and mouth numbing effect of Schezwan pepper. When the South was blocked during the Civil War, industries Southerners harvested and sold them as a black pepper substitute.             
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions