Home Page

Nylon/Velcro Strap Failure

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Nylon/Velcro Strap Failure
« on: November 30, 2017, 10:27:40 AM »
I was going through my EDC med kit and found that a pouch with a nylon strap which had disintegrated.

I have no brand name on this, nor any idea how old it was, but certainly less than five years.  I believe I had purchased the strap from a local "big brand" store in a "blister pak" type package.

It was not a major problem because the pouch was NOT hanging by the strap, but that was my intention when I added it to my med kit.

So, check your gear and test each strap...

This strap had been in my med kit, NOT exposed to sunlight or temperature extremes.  Nor was it exposed to any solvents.

When I say "disintegrated, I mean that the individual fibers in the strap had become brittle and fell to pieces like dryer lint.  The strap was sewn to the pouch and I used my fingers to crumble and remove the entire strap.

FYI
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Nylon/Velcro Strap Failure
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 06:55:58 PM »
I suspect it probably was exposed to something. Either in the bag, or, more likely, between manufacture and take home.

Almost as likely is someone in the Chinese factory pulled lever B when he/she should have pulled lever A to add the ingredients in the pot when they made the soup that eventually became the fibers.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)