Home Page

"De-google" yourself

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
"De-google" yourself
« on: May 29, 2015, 08:54:16 PM »
First, let me state that I worry about loss of privacy when online...

This article discusses what you can do to avoid contributing to the global database.

http://www.naturalnews.com/049881_Google_privacy_Gmail.html

The article lists the following steps you can take.  My comments are added.

1)  Look for storage alternatives

This is only a problem if you store information (data) in the "cloud", which is 'netspeak for having anything stored on a server you do not control.

I DO NOT store data outside of my own server / desktop / laptop.  That being said, if you have an email account that is not on YOUR server, you have data exposed to theft.  Consider carefully what you say and do via email, it is not private.

2)  Change the way you search

The article lists two search engines which are "more private".  That means they do not store your search results with your personal contact information.

The two search engines are actually not ones that I use.

I recommend using Ixquick.com / Startpage.com, which are the same engine, same people.  They do not store information that can link your search results back to you.  They do show you results from the Google(r) engine, while shielding you from their data collection system.  Google(r) only sees Ixquick / Startpage as the searching entity.

The two engines list in the article are: DuckDuckGo.com and GoodGopher.com.  The second is a new search engine and I cannot speak to its security.

3) Block Cookies

I highly recommend doing this.  I use Ghostery, which blocks trackers, which are software that can follow you as you browse and record your activities.  Trackers are used by advertisers to "customize" the kind of ads you see on various websites.  They do that by keeping a database of where you go and what you look at on the 'net.  Can you say "Big Brother"?

I also set the browser option "Do No Track Me", although this is something of a joke, since there is no guarantee that the request will be honored...

Blocking cookies, in your browser and in your operating system, may result in failure of some web pages to display all their data.  You may see intimidating messages, telling you that because you have blocked their cookie, all kinds of bad things may happen to you...  Such as not being "allowed" to view something.  My view is that if the website cannot protect my privacy, I don't want to see their "valuable" information.  Please don't be intimidated by these messages.

4)  Find an alternative to Gmail

Gmail is owned by Google(r).  It tracks your every message and reads them.  This information is linked to you AND sold to others.  It is NOT private, 'nuf said.

5) Stop using Google(r) and Apple(r) Cloud Services

Read the article for a description of why you don't want to use these services.  I don't, period.

6)  Smartphone Alternatives

I don't own a "smartphone", which I think is smart...

If you need (crave, desire, believe the hype) the "smartphone" services, at least use one of the alternative phone providers.  If you can, change the operating system in your phone.  Or buy a phone that is not tied to Google or the big telecomm companies.  One is recommended in the article, but I cannot vouch for it, since I do not use it.

I do recommend finding someone who can replace your phone operating system. 

[edit - spelling]
« Last Edit: June 10, 2015, 08:11:23 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline David-Audrey

• ...Because change is inevitable!
Re: "De-google" yourself
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 06:23:09 PM »
Thanks for the info and lesson.

Audrey
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions