Home Page

The sorry state of knife training in Scouting (BSA) today

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
The sorry state of knife training in Scouting (BSA) today
« on: April 16, 2017, 01:01:53 PM »
I was as cub scout (never went to full "Boy Scout").  We learned to use knives, of all sizes up to the machete.  I might have been all of 9 or 10 years old.

While that was a few decades ago, (ok, a lot of decades). I still know how to use my knives... safely.

This article is about the vast variation in how the BSA trains, or don't train, on knife usage.

https://survivalcommonsense.com/why-dont-all-boy-scouts-carry-and-use-fixed-blade-knives/

If you have children, boy or girl, DO get them trained in knife usage.  It could save their lives, not to mention avoid some nasty accidents...

If YOU don't have knife training, Please Ask Someone Who You Trust To Train You.  Again, it could save not just your life but those around you.

I read what I wrote above and it is still true if you substitute "fire arm" for "knife"... 'nuf said.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline owldancer

• Just a figment of the imagination!
Re: The sorry state of knife training in Scouting (BSA) today
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 09:08:51 AM »
Just spent a week at scout camp, saw our scouts using knifes and other "sharp" tools.
(From what I saw the camp Trading Post only sold folding knife, some with blade locks.)

Are they the best at it, no. They are still learning. 
Often you have to allow them to use a dull tool before they will believe you that it does not work worth a darn.

I have trained Charlie to handle "sharp" tools. And the correct way to safely carve.

In our Troop the Scout Master has banned fixed blade knifes for everyone (yes, even adults).
Not that he has ever been on a camp out since Charlie flew up into Boy Scouts.

Now I am not saying he is an idiot or anything, but I do carry a fixed blade knife in my pack.  (shhhh don't tell anyone)
It's just a knife for cutting up food you know.
If I were ever to need it I would use it, for cutting up food or anything else.

When we reenact Charlie and other boys will often come to my camp site and use my trade knifes that I display.
They know the safety rules and follow them.  I watch and make sure.

On another note.  Boy Scouts of America is not what it was when I was young in so many ways.
It keeps becoming more and more PC. 
When I was at one area at camp a counselor was told by a director that he could not point his finger at anything.
Instead you have to use your whole hand.  He was saying it offends people. So he couldn't point at the waiting area.
Good thing Charlie is only one year from Eagle. 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 05:39:24 PM »
<said in my best snowflake voice impression>

"But, but, but, they might hurt someone! Or they might even run with knives!! In Public!!!"

Ok, I don't do impression well, I admit it publicly...  I'm not proud, but I do know how to use knives.

owldance, I'm glad you are teaching Charlie and I hope he appreciates it when he gets older...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline ken_

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2017, 11:28:54 PM »
In one of the FB groups I follow there's a debate going on about non-locking vs locking blades for teaching kids knife safety. The pro-lock group claims that trying to teach kids to use a folding knife without the locking feature is dangerous at best and might even be "child endangerment." The opposing group disagrees and I agree with them...

Teach a kid to use (and respect) a non-locking blade so they don't get a false sense of security. Blade locks can fail, even if it's very rare. As for sharp vs dull, sharp is safer IMO.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions