Home Page

Article - Education: Free and Compulsory

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - Education: Free and Compulsory
« on: June 29, 2017, 08:10:58 AM »
This is a 12 part discussion about our education system(s).

Links are at the bottom of this page:

https://mises.org/library/education-free-and-compulsory-1/html

As a parent, YOUR education about our schools system(s) should be an important part of your prepping.  Do you know how the various schooling methods actually work?

Read the articles and make some decisions about how best to teach your children.  You might not have this choice in the future, so exercise it now.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Re: Article - Education: Free and Compulsory
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 05:19:43 AM »
What I did years ago, it has been damaged and destroyed now, but next bonus going to do again.

What we did is go to a used book and text book place and bought a complete abbeca books and lesson books set of English, Math, the Sciences 1-12th grade, plus a few early primers for history and other topics.  One set, figured if I ever had to teach my kids (now my grand kids) in Badtimes, I could use that as fall back information once they had the basics and then the practical lessons.  But that is not counting you personal library and that includes encyclopedias and dictionaries, and other topics that interest me.  What else can be found.  I have a few old maps and one old globe that show the world as it was when I grew up to help explain history.  It is a far from perfect system, but it should get them the basics.  Practical lessons if and when it comes to that point will be more important, than higher education, jmo
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 05:54:20 PM »
eeyore

I agree about a basic set of books which cover grades 1-12 (in the US system).   These will help our kids get through the first few years of a severe crash, whatever is survivable.

As we would begin to rebuild societies and whole countries, I think a set of higher level books is also needed, covering the sciences, philosophy and most importantly, History.   Our own recollection of the events leading up to a crash will be the most important factors in how our children view us, and the new society.

I will advise extreme caution with the text books now being published and used in pre-crash public education, because they are badly edited, and biased to fit the current Political Correctness being taught in public schools.  I am not sure how far back one would have to look to find a truer, more honest set of texts.  We may have to write our own.

It will be true that the survivors write the history (not just the victors).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 01:43:35 PM »
I agree, the old Britannica set of encyclopedias was a 60' or early 70's with almost all the year books.  I wish I still had them.

I remember going to the Smithsonian Natural history museum as a kid and it is totally different today with gender bending and down right lie and changed facts, it is a shame.  I read something years ago about how text books for kids would spend pages on Moa and have less than chapter on George Washington, pages on the suffrage movement and less than a page on the Constitution. I could go on and on.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions