Home Page

USDA Orders Mountain House Product Recall, Health Risk Declared “High”

Offline 230gr

USDA Orders Mountain House Product Recall, Health Risk Declared “High”

WASHINGTON, D.C. – The U.S. Dept. of Agriculture announced Tuesday that it ordered a recall of a Mountain House freeze dried storage food declaring it a “high” health risk to consumers, and the effort a Class 1 recall.
By definition, a Class 1 recall is defined as a “health hazard situation where there is a reasonable probability that the use of the product will cause serious, adverse health consequences or death.”

For the moment, it appears that only one product in question is the “Spicy Southwest Breakfast Hash,” and a company representative said the company has reached out to customers.
OFD Food, LLC. Recalls Beef Products Due to Possible Foreign Matter Contamination

Class I Recall070-2017
Health Risk: HighJun 13, 2017
WASHINGTON, June 13, 2017 – OFD Foods, LLC., an Albany, Ore. establishment, is recalling approximately 197 pounds of beef product that may be contaminated with extraneous materials, specifically rubber, the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS) announced today.

http://paratusnews.com/usda-orders-mountain-house-product-recall-health-risk-declared-high/

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
I have to ask why the "rubber" is a serious health hazard?   Perhaps there is something else about it (the rubber) that is not being stated?

At least the batch is small (<200 pounds).  It appears to be a recent product so it may not have reached the consumer yet.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

I doubt that it really is that dangerous but you know how the government standards can be over reactionary.

The beef hash item was produced on Dec. 22, 2016. The following product is subject to recall: [View Labels (PDF Only)]

3.88-oz. pouch of “MOUNTAIN HOUSE FREEZE DRIED SPICY SOUTHWEST BREAKFAST HASH,” with pouch code 3253174 and best by date of Dec. 2046.
The product subject to recall bears establishment number “EST. 1394” inside the USDA mark of inspection. This item was shipped to retail locations nationwide and sold directly to consumers through internet sales.

The problem was discovered when a firm employee reported finding pieces of rubber in the product on June 12, 2017.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

This points on one problem with long term storage foods.  we must rely on the testing performed by the manufacturer or by the appropriate government agency, rather than consumer reports, since long term foods probably don't get opened until long after the purchase date...

My personal opinion is that the testing is questionable...

I wonder if we will hear the source of the "rubber" found in the food?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

I wonder if we will hear the source of the "rubber" found in the food?

probably not...likely a runner gear or roller wheel was jammee and began shredding. I would not throw it away if I had it. At least it is not metal shaving which is common too. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

I wonder what the Minimum Daily Requirement (MDR) is for "rubber".  Considering how much of our commercial foods are highly processed, we must have a certain amount in most manufactured and packaged foods.

I may be going into withdrawal from eating homegrown foods.  My legs just don't seem to have that "spring" like they used to... ::)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions