Home Page

Video - Alternate Toilet Paper Product

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Video - Alternate Toilet Paper Product
« on: June 16, 2017, 07:58:37 AM »
The video is 7 minutes.  The author does a good job of demonstrating how to reconstitute the compressed tablets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dP9U7cuzpuY

The product, a compressed cellulose pad, equivalent to about two toilet paper 'squares'.

Pro's

Small volume, light weight
Stronger than normal toilet paper, even when wet
"biodegradable" so it can be buried or burned, as necessary
There are other uses for these, beyond their use a sanitary wipes
You can carry the equivalent of a roll (roughly) of TP in a pocket sized bag.

Con's

A box of 500 tablets is quoted in the video as costing about $30 Canadian.
Water is needed to un-compress the tablet of cellulose
You may need to train yourself to use a limited amount of TP for sanitary wiping.  Of course you could uncompress several of these tablets, but why waste a limited resource when you can learn to conserve.

Other uses:

I could see this being used, still compressed, as fire starters, with some Vaseline or alcohol.  If you uncompress these with a little water, then let it dry in the open air, they would make good fire tinder.

Some thoughts; you might be able to make a press and produce your own tablets from toilet paper.  Remember that these tablets are stronger than regular toilet paper, but it might be cost effective to make these at home...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline TWP

Re: Video - Alternate Toilet Paper Product
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2017, 08:41:31 AM »
I have a brand name on this product:  Wysi Wipe

They were found on Amazon in 100 count bags which works out to about 11 cents each.  I think this is pricey but if you can find the larger count (500) box, which is shown in the original video, the price point may get better.

I also found several products which are larger size towels, dry compressed to about 2 inch diameter tablets.  These are appreciably more expensive but do still have the advantages of light weight and small volume which makes them candidates for your BOB or Get Home bags.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2017, 12:05:19 PM »
I would be very cautious about using these in your septic tank.
Septic Tank Safe Toilet Tissue Paper dissolves completely and even some industrial TP is hard on them. Be careful what you put into your septic tank, the last thing you want is a build up in there when the pumper trucks don't come around any more. I have been there using a 5 gal bucket and rope: you do not want to! 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2017, 12:40:08 PM »
230gr

Good point.  I looked at the manufacturers website and found some claims about this product being "bio-degradeable" however nothing specifically about septic systems.

http://wysiwipe.com/green-waste-programs.html

They do appear to decompose in places like a compost pile, but I would like to know about anaerobic environments like a septic tank...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions