Home Page

Article - Debunking the Myth of Canned Food Expiration Dates

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Just in case somebody still believes some of the commercial package dates:

https://survivalblog.com/debunking-myth-canned-food-expiration-dates-t-l/#more-42739

I've seen stores throw away whole cases of canned foods because they were past the date marked on the package...  Guess who paid for that waste with higher prices on other foods?

Conversely, I save a lot of money by buying foods which are "close outs" because they are approaching the marked package date...  Hint to the penny conscious.

I note one comment in the article to the effect that there are no "federal" regulation about package date marking.  If you have read the article, I would not trust such data markings even if they were "federally" mandated.

Some common sense will help you decide if the canned good is actually too far gone to eat:

Is the can rusted or cracked?

Is the can bulging from internal gas pressure?

Do the content smell or look bad?

Does a small sample taste sour or "off"?  Do this at your own risk and recognize that some foods are sour by design... They don't call it sauerkraut without reason.  Pickled foods are generally sour, etc.

Are you hungry?

DO NOTE:  A merely "dented" can does not necessarily mean its content is inedible... 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 08:37:21 AM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.