Home Page

NNPG Radio Net Topic: Prepping For Pets

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
NNPG Radio Net Topic: Prepping For Pets
« on: June 14, 2017, 07:31:17 PM »
I intended to post this on the net chat but it got too long as I wrote it.  So here are my thoughts on the subject:

I wrote this offline and it became larger all by itself...

For those who have not already done so, there are many helpful suggestions posted in the NNPG sub-forum: "Prepping for Pets".  You do need to become a member to view the sub-boards (hint).

http://nnpg.net/NNPG_Forum/index.php?board=11.0

There are recipes for homemade pet food, backpack designs for pets so they can carry part of their own food and a free PDF download of "What to do when there is no Vet".

In addition, there are discussions and articles about handling more general livestock such as cows, horses etc.

If I had pets (apartment living prevents me), I'd have a pet medical kit as part of my own BOB.  It would include mostly the same kinds of things we need for ourselves, with a set of medicines and anesthetics specific to your pets breed.

With respect to carrying pet foods, if your dog is large enough, there are trailers / carts specifically made to be pulled by dogs.  These are wheeled trailers and, depending on the size of your dog, can carry fairly large weights.  Some training and regular practice is necessary.  Once your pet learns that they are carrying their own food, they are usually willing to do their part of the job.

Another consideration is the type of food your pet is currently getting fed.  Will you (they) be able to carry enough of their food to reach your BOL or to last as long as your human food supplies?  Remember that pets will not like a sudden change in diet, no more than we humans do, so be prepared to have their normal food in stock and ready for bug-out.  If you are currently feeding canned pet foods, consider beginning a gradual change to dry (kibble) type foods.  Dry foods mean less weight and perhaps lower volume too (depends on the type).

Remember that water for pets is just as important as your own water...  Have enough to reach your destination AND a water filter system to replace what you and your pets use.

In the area of skills, if you have some veterinary skills, this could prove as valuable as human medical skills in an EOTW or even a temporary evacuation scenario.

Have some books on veterinary practice, including anesthetizing, surgery, wound repair and disease treatment.

Sources of some books relating to veterinary medicine: NOTE: look for more current editions which may be buried among the lists of older publications.  The problem is finding publications which are not bound by copyright laws.  They are available.

http://www.pssurvival.com/PS/Veterinarian/index.htm

http://www.survivorlibrary.com/?page_id=1403

Finally, I recommend this thread on another forum, about pet bug-out planning:

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=385770

Animal Psychology 101:

This point has to do with pack animal psychology.  Almost all animals are part of a group.  That group includes you, if you're lucky.  Within those groups there is usually a hierarchy of dominance, with one animal being "alpha" and frequently there are both a male and female "alpha" in a group.  You may (should) become that "alpha" animal with respect to your "pets".  This is not a case of "I'm the master and you will obey me" but rather "I'm the one who makes the choices for all of us".  This may seem like a narrow distinction, but it is very important to your "pets" who don't like 'bossy" people any more than you do.

For the safety of yourself, your family and your "pets" it is important that you become "The one who is in charge".  This avoids facing a stubborn animal in a crisis where you need to have your attention elsewhere.  It also means that a traumatized animal will look to you for help and allow you to treat them.

Cat Servant Training 201:

A word of advice from a cat person.  Cats are pack (pride) animals too, but also noted for their independent nature.  Non-cat people will see this as a negative: cats are aloof, stubborn and disobedient.  That is not the real mindset of cats.  They look to their "alpha" males and females for guidance and reassurance just as children look to parents for solace and advice.

With cats, the key is to not allow them to exclude you from their pack.  If you identify the "alpha" male and/or female, you must let them know that you will be giving the directions, the other cats in the pack (pride) will follow the alphas and acknowledge your position.

Being cats, you cannot exert dominance by force (it is called a "pride" for good reason), you must sometimes bribe them with love and food.  My pride of cats grew up with me.  I was there at the birth of all but the original female, who found me first... I was selected and not elected...

My point about cats has to do with their part in a prepper group.  They have their jobs and can do them well (think; comforting you and your human group, guarding your homestead from rodents and even much larger animals, mine would take down rabbits in a heartbeat).

If you're not a cat person, sorry, you have lost valuable members of your group from the start.  Try it with dogs, they are much less particular about who they call friends.  If you still want cats, please submit your resume to the local Union Of Feline Solidarity and don't be offended if you get snubbed on the first several attempts...  It will help if you claim to have worked with cats in the past and do cite your qualifications as a servant.

As an aside, dogs and cats can live together peacefully.  They do need to grow up together for this to happen...  It's up to you.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.