Home Page

Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles
« on: April 22, 2017, 05:44:31 PM »
I've just finished reading "Patriots" by James Wesley, Rawles.  This is my review and some opinions on what it is about.

In a nutshell, it is a fictional story about a hypothetical second American revolution.  It takes place in the early part of the 21st century, this century, now.

The events preceding the revolution are presented by the author, Mr. Rawles.  These events and our current society are known by most of us today and it makes the story very compelling.  While I do expect that there are people who will disagree with the author's interpretation of todays society and of our social and economic situation, I find that I essentially agree with the author on most points referenced in the story.

The author definitely writes for and to the prepper mindset.  The story is intended (IMO) to present a situation which involves many of the threats and scenarios which we, as preppers, are planning around.  A failing economy, unsound currencies, uncontrolled governmental institutions and politicians who no longer recognize either rule of law or our American Constitution.  I've probably left out a few points there...

Mr. Rawles takes a lot of time in detailing the specific equipment and training which his characters acquire in the setup for the story.  While he could have used less detail and still told the story, his intent was to give his readers a useful set of specifications for their own prepper plans.  When you read this, and I do recommend reading it, remember that all that meticulous detail is real and not made up for the story.  Mr. Rawles is a recognized authority on prepping...

The characters, both pro and antagonists, are reasonably well developed and we follow them through many years, prior to the revolution.  We get to know the characters and Mr. Rawles does (IMO) make them real enough to feel an emotional bond to their lives.

The bulk of the story centers around the actual revolution and involves both actual armed conflict and the logistics of moving people and equipment before and after each fight.  Again, this is useful information for all preppers because it will, hopefully, prepare (no pun intended) the reader for the reality of war.  This is NOT a story of people going off into the wilderness to survive until the conflict dies of natural causes.

I could write more about this story, but I want to hear from some of you, who may have already read the book.  It is part of a series, subtitled: "A Novel of the Coming Collapse".
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline xoruss

Re: Patriots by James Wesley, Rawles
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 04:47:47 AM »
   i remember reading this book starting with the shareware versions that were printed online... Gray Nineties and Triple Ought. Mr Rawles and I exchanged a number of emails as he fleshed out his story. Like our buddy Jerry and the late PAW authors TOM and Fleataxi, there were always points to make me consider as I worked on my own preps.
Russ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2018, 03:54:39 PM »
I remember those days. There was a bunch of good fiction created on some of those forums.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 01:27:45 PM »
I am also one of those who found his early works on line back in the late 90's. In fact the earliest version I am aware of was titled "The Gray 90's" as a play on the family name from the book.

He also has others out, same characters but better fleshed out for thir personal situations, like, what happened that the one couple from Chicago was so long reaching the retreat, etc. That one was titled 'Founders' and I have it around here - somewhere, safely buried.

He writes well, with his main focuses being economic collapse and Christian beliefs guiding the survivors' actions. I consider it a recommend.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions