Home Page

Article - Rainwater Harvesting

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - Rainwater Harvesting
« on: April 19, 2017, 08:43:13 AM »
Unless you live in a true desert, your garden can benefit from harvested rainwater.

This article shows a simple system to harvest and store as much rainwater as you want.  The system is expandable so you can start smaller (lower cost for storage barrels) and expand as time and money allow.

https://survivalblog.com/rainwater-harvesting-an-easy-and-efficient-build-by-l-r/

My advice is to start with as large a storage system as you can...  The barrels are still available and relatively cheap but, post 'event' those barrels will be much harder to acquire.  Get them while you can.  The same is true for the plastic pipe, glue and valves needed for the system.

You roof drain will be a one time addition, once it is in place, it should not need changing, unless you only plumb one side of your roof and need to come back later to add drains to the other side.

DO NOTE the use of screens on the intake side is highly recommended.  This will avoid getting unwanted trash in your storage barrels.

ALSO NOTE the water is NOT potable as it comes from your roof.  If you want to consume this water, then you will need to add a treatment and purification system.   The intent is really just to get water for a garden, which should not need any more then simple screening for trash.

Finally, there are still some areas in this country which place restrictions on harvesting rainwater...  I have an opinion on this which is not suitable for printing in the forum, so read between the lines...  Check with your local agriculture "authorities" about legalities...

For that reason, I would advise using a suitable paint on those barrels to make them less visible, or put your storage system inside a simple enclosure...  Out of side is out of mind...

Remember that the water in the barrels and pipes is subject to freezing and bursting, so plan on either draining the system for winter, or building it in a heated/insulated area.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.