Home Page

Extracting Bone Marrow For Broth

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Extracting Bone Marrow For Broth
« on: April 12, 2017, 11:42:28 AM »
Not only does broth taste good, it is good for you (grandmother's saying).

You do want to make broth from all bones, particularly large bones with significant marrow content, but also smaller bones such as chicken and pork.  I mix my bones together, but purists may want broths made from one meat animal at a time.  They are not hungry enough...

The process is very simple.  You are just cooking bone soup.

http://gnowfglins.com/2017/04/12/best-ways-extract-marrow-for-bone-broth-aw070/

If you hunt, DO plan on starting a broth as soon as the bones are extracted.  Assume you will NOT have refrigeration.

If you can still freeze the bones, then do so until you have enough to make broth.  I save all bones in a ziplock bag in the freezer and then make broth about once a month.  I use a crockpot on high or medium and cook for 12 to 24 hours OR until the bones can be easily crushed between my fingers.

DO NOTE the advice on preparing larger bones, such as having them cut open if you buy from a butcher or meat shop.  This makes the marrow far easier to extract.   Roasting large bones will speed the process, but broth is still made slowly.

My broth doesn't last very long as I use it in many dishes, but if kept refrigerated or frozen, it will keep for a couple of weeks (perhaps longer, but I've never had any unused for longer than about two weeks.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: Extracting Bone Marrow For Broth
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2017, 07:47:11 PM »

See also my post "Marrow: Prime Survival Food". Early humans owed much of the survival to having figured out how to crack open large bones left by predators.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions