Home Page

UST Food Ration Bar Taste Test

Offline 230gr

UST Food Ration Bar Taste Test
« on: April 03, 2017, 08:49:49 PM »
Received a report on this UST Food Ration Bar today from one of our group. 

Wal Mart has these ration bars in stock in there camping section for $4.97 plus tax. Each bar weights 1 LB. 2 Oz. Size is 1.5 x 4 x 6 inches, has 2400 calories and a shelf life of 5 years.   

I tried one to see how it tastes; not that great, a little gritty and is very dry. If you eat one have a lot of water on hand. Tried mixing it with orange juice and coke to turned it into a paste with a little improvement in taste.
Try one and see if you like it as it could be a useful item for a bugout bag.
 Also see: UST Food Ration Bar Taste Test
 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6703S90jaUM

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: UST Food Ration Bar Taste Test
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 07:22:06 AM »
I did some digging and found the UST website and the product listing, but I cannot find the online list of ingredients.  I do see a picture of the package, which appears to have a standard ingredient list on the back side, but it could not be read in the picture.

At 2400 calories per full bar, it is a one day ration.   At $4.97 each, it is not the lowest cost ration bar available, and since I cannot find the actual ingredients, it is hard to make a judgment on comparative value.

I would say this is lower cost than a comparable number of MRE meal packs (say three MRE's per day) which are currently in the $8-13 range each ($24-39 per day).  The MRE's may be a better eating experience, but with consequences in terms of digestion problems.  If you've ever eaten MRE's for a length of time, you know what I'm talking about:  constipation.

On the plus side, the UST bar is a relatively small size and one could carry several days worth in a BOB.  One must include the weight of water needed to make this bar edible (eating it dry will not be pleasant, but possible).

This might be a good choice for a 72 hr. kit or part of one's permanent vehicle kit.  I do not know how well these bars would keep in a vehicle, subject to wide temperature swings.

I would only consider this bar for bulk stores if I were bugging-in and had the space to store many days worth.  For an emergency pack, it makes more sense.

I would like to (but cannot) compare this to the bucket food packages being sold by many prepper food resellers.  I must have the ingredient list to do a valid comparison.

If anyone finds the ingredient list, please post a link (URL).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2017, 03:11:19 PM »
I much prefer the Millennium 400 calorie bars to these types of rations. Though the various lifeboat rations are listed as being not thirst inducing, each one pretty much is a single flavor, though between them, there are differences. And most are 1,200 to 3,600 calories per pack, with at least one (I cannot remember which) having the bar divided into individual 400 calorie packs inside the main pack.

But with the variety of flavors of the Millennium bars, I find them much more palatable, and much easier to pack away in various bags and kits than the larger bars.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2017, 03:40:15 PM »
This might be a useful exercise for one of the camp outs, a "nutrition" bar taste-off.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2017, 05:04:27 PM »
The NEW MILLENNIUM 400 CALORIE ENERGY BARS, CASE OF 144 BARS for $200.00.

SO that is $1.39 each and you would need 6 bars to get 2400 cal $8.34.

The UST Food Ration Bar is more like the hardtack of ration bars!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2017, 06:28:22 PM »
So doing the math, 144 bars, 6 per day, gives 24 days of food for the $200.00.  Call it a full month if you want to stretch and not eat 2400 calories each and every day.  I think I would do this anyway as the monotony of the same bars would make me reduce my intake.

In an emergency situation, this could work.  I'm not sure I could comfortably pack all 144 bars if it was a bug-out type emergency, but a bug-in is certainly do-able.

Again, the actual ingredients and nutritional content needs to be known and supplemented if it is lacking in some elements of nutrition.   Some "bars" are low in fiber, some low in enzymes needed for digestion (that is the problem with MRE's too).  Fresh foods can supply more fiber and active enzymes.  If fresh food is available.

And yes, I agree with the hardtack comparison, even if the UST bars actually have good flavor and hardtack is pretty bland.  Hardtack is NOT balanced nutrition, but lots of carbs and some salt.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2017, 06:57:36 AM »
I only use the Millennium bars as part of a short term and/or travelling situation. I supplement the bars with plain jerky and my GORP mix. The GORP is ~16 oz can of premium mixed nuts, ~16 oz package of plain M&Ms, & an 8 oz package of chopped dates. Along with the three food items, I also have Emergen-C packets, Horlick's Malt Tablets, and Centrum Silver multi-vitamins. For comfort food, I also carry Tootsie Rolls, Butterscotch disks, Chicklets 2-pack gum, Earl Grey tea, and hot chocolate packets.

For longer term kits I add quite a few more items in small quantities.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2017, 08:45:44 AM »
Earl Grey Tea (taking a drink now...) is a necessary (NECESSARY!) item in any well build kit.  It doesn't need hot water to brew and it satisfies my caffeine craving.  I prefer it cold, but hot is acceptable, if push comes to shove ;D .

Sweeteners are desirable.  If not regular white sugar, then maple syrup or molasses will work too.  At least the second two sweeteners might be available in a long term PAW situation.

I suppose that the Millennium bars have some sugar content (they taste sweet to me) and this could be used to sweeten the tea.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions