Home Page

Homemade "Onion Soup Mix" as a prep

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Homemade "Onion Soup Mix" as a prep
« on: March 25, 2017, 06:57:25 PM »
I use "onion soup mix" when I cook, not as a straight soup.

You can easily make your own and package it for your BOB or keep as a stores item.

Be aware that it has a noticeable aroma which does travel with the breeze, so only us it when you don't mind being located. ;D

This site has the recipe:

https://survivalcommonsense.com/survival-recipes-how-to-make-onion-soup-mixfeed/

All of the ingredients can be either purchased (now) or made in your kitchen with the exception of corn starch and powdered butter.

Yes you could probably make corn starch, but it is not a necessary ingredient, nor is the powdered butter.  The corn starch serves to keep the mixture from clumping together.  The powdered butter is mostly for flavoring when used as a simple soup.

DO NOTE the lack of salt in the recipe... Salt will absorb moisture from the air, so avoid it.  If you need to salt the dish, add the salt during cooking, not when storing.

The recipe used "beef" base powder, but other meat flavors could be used also.  In my usage, I usually am cooking beef, port or chicken and the addition beef flavor is either unneeded or overwhelmed by the natural meet flavors.  It is the onion and garlic which are most noticeable...

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.