Home Page

Homemade Survival Bars

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Homemade Survival Bars
« on: February 26, 2017, 02:27:32 PM »
This thread is about a homemade "survival bar" using beans, rice and pork.  2:2:1 ratio of ingredients.

The process is simple.  It might need to be made thinner for proper drying without using a dehydrator.

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=684090

It sounds very tasty and I'd like to know how long it will store in "normal" temperature stockpiles, ie. not refrigerated or frozen.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Homemade Survival Bars
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2017, 12:07:05 PM »
I have serious reservations about this recipe. Nothing really specific. I just am not comfortable with any of the ingredients as long term storage, even well dried. And, if dried to a degree where it might be both safe and stable, it seems like it would be a bear to consume, as it would be a real brick, if thin.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Homemade Survival Bars
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2017, 01:46:15 PM »
Jerry, it doesn't fit the "edible-as-is" category.  I'd dump it in some hot water and let it soften, or use as a stew base.

The lifetime is questionable, depending on how much fat is in the pork.  I would expect a few months of storage, perhaps 2 to 3  (60-90 days) at cool (room) temperatures.

The advantage that I see is in weight and volume.  It would work well in a 72 hour bag and could be used and replaced frequently enough to avoid spoilage.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.