Home Page

Article: Food Lessons from the Great Depression

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article: Food Lessons from the Great Depression
« on: February 20, 2017, 11:13:01 AM »
For those too young (I am one such), this refers to the American Great Depression of the 1930's decade.

The article lists several ways that people survived during that time.  These are (IMO) becoming more necessary right now and my "crystal ball" says they may be a way-of-life in the not too distant future.

I'm not trying to cry gloom and doom, just looking at my threat analysis spreadsheet and noting that some factors have been rising for the last few years.   Do your own analysis, applying the information you have available from all sources....

Please don't take my word for it, although I will help you do your analysis with tools such as a spreadsheet.  Both Jerry and I have developed such spreadsheets and will be happy to share them.

RE the article:

http://www.askaprepper.com/10-food-lessons-great-depression/

I note the list of protein sources which are less popular and that it did not mention Beef hearts among the various choices.  That may be because hearts are still a good selling meat and did not make the authors criteria.

The author listed animal brains as a protein source and I would investigate any source before eating brain matter due to the recent problems with "prions" which cause Mad Cow Disease (Bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) ).

Other suggestions on managing food resources, taken from the experiences of the Great Depression, are ALL just as applicable now as they were then.

1)  Use "fillers" to extend your more expensive or hard-to-find foods.

2)  Grow your own food, whether in a garden space or in your window sills.

3)  Raise animals, if you have the option at your home.

4)  Start Preserving foods.

5)  Buy local NOW, so you know local sources and establish relationships with other suppliers.

6)  User cheaper meat cuts (as I note above).

7)  Hunt (I would add "Fish" to this).

8)  "Pinch Pennies", that is another way to say "Use it up, Wear it out, Make it do".

9)  Learn how to cook food without modern appliances.

10)  Teach these things to anyone who will listen, particularly younger people.

Some additional details are offered by the author on each of these ten points.

These are not the only things you can do now, but anything is better than "whistling while the world ends".
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.