Home Page

Reported Change in Food Labeling

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Reported Change in Food Labeling
« on: February 17, 2017, 10:39:32 AM »
Disclaimer:  The source of this article is, in my opinion, less credible than it needs to be...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2017/02/16/a-barely-noticeable-change-to-how-food-is-labeled-could-save-americans-millions/?utm_term=.b2e0316335ef

The current food labeling system leaves a lot to be desired.  That is fact, not opinion.

First, the label statements are NOT law, they are manufacturer "policy".  The "food police" are not watching your pantry. ( I think...)

It has led to the belief that foods which are past the label date are bad and should (must) be thrown away and are not safe to eat... ;)

You may have become aware of a rising number of anecdotal reports about this belief being false... ::)

Amidst all the hype, advertising hyperbole and even outright lies, the fact remains that SOME foods do become less edible as they age... (expression of naive shock and disbelief inserted here ::) ).

I'm not going to tell you to ignore the dates on food labels.  But it would make your life easier if you did some research into exactly what those date REALLY mean and how to interpret them... ???

It could also reduce your waste and save money in your food budget.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.