Home Page

"Great Depression" Soup

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
"Great Depression" Soup
« on: February 10, 2017, 12:20:58 PM »
They called it the "Great Depression" in my childhood.  No, I'm not old enough to have endured it, but my parents and grandparents did.

This article gives a description of the "recipe" for soup used by survivors...

http://www.offthegridnews.com/off-grid-foods/great-depression-soup-the-recipe-you-gotta-save-for-hard-times/

They did not have a recipe, as we know it, unless you are familiar with "slum guliion" or "garbage" soup...

Keep this in the back of your mind when you prep.  What we might throw out today as being inedible, might feed you or your group in a SHTF scenario.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

Re: "Great Depression" Soup
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 04:11:28 PM »
Sounds a bit like "Everlasting Soupe" where everyone's plates are scraped into the pot that was kept hot 24/7 in the winter. Broccoli leaves, cabbage heart bones of all types, edible weeds and get cooked for a hot meal at any hour.   

Going to get necessary at some point,IMO. 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 05:29:43 PM »
We keep a crockpot going just for this.  It gets heated up about two-three times per day and new "stuff" gets dumped in whenever the level get too low, or the soup gets too 'watery"...

Keep your bones, either into the pot or freeze until you have enough to be worth cooking.

Reading my original post, they mention using the "brown" part from the top of onions...  I'm not sure which part that actually is... I use onion skins for compost in the window garden.  I don't think I would like to eat the dry skins, even cooked, but then I'm not really hungry right now... :o
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline 230gr

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
I use onion skins for compost in the window garden.

The papery skins are actually healthful with a particular phytochemical. They should get tied in a cotton bundle along with wild carrots and other vegetables that are too tough to chew. Cook out the nutrients then discard to the compost pit.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 07:44:25 PM »
The papery skins are actually healthful with a particular phytochemical. They should get tied in a cotton bundle along with wild carrots and other vegetables that are too tough to chew. Cook out the nutrients then discard to the compost pit.

That sounds very easy and worth adding to my cooking kit.  Thanks
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions