Home Page

Could you survive all winter on your food stocks?

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Could you survive all winter on your food stocks?
« on: December 15, 2016, 02:07:26 PM »
Consider the pioneers, who stockpiled foods to last the entire winter, until first harvest in late spring.

Do you have this much food stockpiled?

http://www.askaprepper.com/pioneers-stockpiled-survive-winter/

This assumes that you might (MIGHT) get some extra from winter hunting and foraging , but probably not much.

The article lists how much was considered "enough" by the pioneers.

I know we certainly DO NOT have this much food stored.  Prepping fail.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Could you survive all winter on your food stocks?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2016, 03:11:23 PM »
Close. It would be very simple fare at the end. But I would not have enough if it was a long winter.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 06:34:18 AM »
It would be extremely difficult for us, I expect extra family to show up.  That is why I'm trying to raise at least the protein in the form of animals.  At the present time I have a couple of pigs and chickens on the place we rent.  Right now if the measuring formula is correct they are about 300 pounds each.  The chickens are Production Reds, but are two years old.  They will be in the freezer in the next few months as they produce less eggs.  i did have decent success with meat birds this year and rabbits in the past.

Planning to kill one of the pigs, after Christmas and see about breeding the other one.  If I can do that it get me one step closer to being self sufficient.  Even though I'm not truly self sufficient as I get most my feed from the local feed store.  Scraps for the house do help, but pending on just scraps is not practical.

You can only do what you can do, but you have to put into practice what you are going to depend on.  Hunting in my area is problematic, every idiot in area has a gun and thinks they are a hunter.  What I will have to be ready for is safeguarding what I'm raising, form 2 legged and 4 legged predators.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 08:10:01 AM »
Jerry and Eeyore,

We're also not set for a full winter on only our stored supplies.  We have too  many mouths and too few hands...

We cannot assume that hunting will yield anything in this urban area.  Forage may give a little, but not enough to endure survival.  There is only so much tree bark and dandelion roots to go around.

While we don't expect more people, it is a real possibility (hence the need to keep our plans quiet...) given that there are local family and friends who are not prepping.  Sad facts of life.

Based on the original article, we don't actually have enough room in the apartment to store a full winters food stock.  That makes caches vital to survival. 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2016, 07:21:14 AM »
Trapping and snaring imo will produce more food than hunting and you can do other things that are more important.  Hunting takes a lot time.   
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2016, 07:46:42 AM »
Trapping and snaring imo will produce more food than hunting and you can do other things that are more important.  Hunting takes a lot time.   

In general, yes and is a "force multiplier" in that the snare/trap is there, ready till something comes by. Allowing you time to do something else.

The only problem is - in a situation where you NEED to do this - EBBER BOTY else is going to be out looking also.  So you'll have noobs using .338 Lapua Mags to kill a rabbit.
Will put a huge pressure on the available 4 legged food.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2016, 11:33:57 AM »
I do not count on foraging plant foods, much less hunting, except possibly during the first 3 days of a major event, and that only if I happen to be out and about, away from home when whatever it is occurs. Only after a major die off of humans and the way over hunted food animals have recovered will I use hunting of any kind as a major food source.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline 230gr

« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 07:47:22 PM »
Yes, easily but the next winter maybe not. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions