Home Page

Roses, Rose Hips and How to Prepare and Use Them

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Roses, Rose Hips and How to Prepare and Use Them
« on: November 27, 2016, 12:57:03 AM »
Lots of good information in the article on Why and How to grow and use Rose, specifically the seed pod which is called a Rose Hip.

https://survivalblog.com/roses-are-red-and-healthful-too-by-sarah-latimer/

NOTE: I did not know that the "hairs" inside the seed pod can be very irritating.  I've never done more than crush the hips and make tea.   I was WRONG.... :'( :-\ :-[

Read the article for the correct way to process the seed pods.  It is somewhat more effort, but seems to be worth it.

In case you did not know, Rose Hips are an excellent source of Vitamin C, and some varieties are better than others.  Read the article for specific names.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2016, 12:39:20 PM by TWP »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Roses, Rose Hips and How to Prepare and Use Them
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2016, 11:19:57 AM »
rosa Ragusa roses are an excellent source of rose hips if a person is planning for a source of Vitamin C. Considered an invasive species in many places, quite a few people will protest their introduction in those areas.

Another great thing about them is that they are one of the thorny roses, and are very hardy. They are one component of my favorite living barrier fence, along with thorny blackberry brambles and close spaced honey locust trees. Once established, the living barrier fence is nearly impenetrable to anything much larger than a rabbit, including stock animals and wild animals. Great around garden plots and as part of a defensive landscaping plan.

Just my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline 230gr

Re: Roses, Rose Hips and How to Prepare and Use Them
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2016, 05:19:19 PM »
the "hairs" inside the seed pod can be very irritating.

They are nasty alright! I cut and cleaned a nice bowl of Rugosa hips two years ago and won't do that again. I was actually most after the seeds which I sewed in the ditches along the road. Anyone jumping into that ditch will for cover will regret it. Though it is good food for the critters when they mature.

Next time, the hips go into the steam juice extractor along with some hard little wild apples to make a jell or syrup. Cooks the seeds of course but the birds and chickens do not care. This was a standard food to get the Norse through the long winters and avoid scurvy.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions