Home Page

Homemade Toothpaste

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Homemade Toothpaste
« on: April 02, 2015, 11:22:17 AM »
Thinking about people with enough teeth left to worry or who have kids,
the idea of toothpaste in prepper supplies doesn't seem to get much
attention.  So...

Note:  For those who lack, or don't want, access to xylitol as a sweetener, using Stevia
is an easier replacement.  I've posted about Stevia cultivation in the gardening forum.

Note:  Using Coconut oil for flavor and as an "oil pulling" ingredient may NOT be available
if TSHTF.  Plan on alternate choices in toothpaste recipes.

Links to Homemade Toothpaste recipes

http://wellnessmama.com/2500/remineralizing-toothpaste/
Recipe:
Ingredients

5 parts Calcium powder
    1 part Diatomaceous Earth (optional- contains trace minerals and silica. UPDATE: A reader noted that DE can be abrasive and is not needed with the baking soda, so if you don't have DE... no worries!)
    2 parts Baking Soda
    3 parts Xylitol Powder- This ingredient is not completely necessary, but just keeps it from tasting bitter.
    3-5 parts coconut oil to get desired texture
    Optional ingredients: Essential oils for flavor (mint, cinnamon, and orange are all good), Myrrh and Trace Minerals

Instructions

Mix all powdered ingredients (calcium, Baking Soda, Xylitol) well in a bowl. If you are starting with calcium tablets, powder them in a food processor. If you are starting with capsules, dump them out into the bowl.
    Add Coconut Oil one part at a time until you get desired consistency.
    Add any optional ingredients, including Essential Oils for flavor (my favorite is Peppermint Orange)
    Store in small container like ½ pint glass jar. To use, either dip clean toothbrush into it, or use Popsicle stick or spoon to put on toothbrush. I've also thought of storing in a plastic bag with a corner cut off to be able to squeeze like toothpaste, but haven't tried it yet.

===

http://familysponge.com/health/coconut-oil/homemade-toothpaste-coconut-oil/
Recipe:
Homemade Toothpaste with Coconut Oil

Clean those pearly whites with this yummy and healthy coconut oil toothpaste. Recipe originally from the fabulous Crunchy Betty.
ingredients

6 tbsp coconut oil
6 tbsp baking soda
25 drops essential oil (whatever you prefer— I’ve used eucalyptus and grapefruit)
1 tsp stevia (or more if you like it sweeter)

Follow the link, above and read the comments too.

===

http://www.diynatural.com/homemade-toothpaste/
Recipe:

2/3 cup baking soda
    1 tsp fine sea salt (optional – direct application of the minerals in sea salt is great for teeth, but can be left out if the taste is too salty)
    1 – 2 tsp peppermint extract or 10-15 drops peppermint essential oil (or add your favorite flavor – spearmint, orange, etc.)
    filtered water (add to desired consistency)

===

http://www.weedemandreap.com/diy-toothpaste-recipe/
Recipe:

Ingredients

1/2 c. filtered water (Click to see where I buy my filters)
    1/4 c. bentonite clay (Click to see where I buy my bentonite clay)
    2 TBS. calcium/magnesium powder (Click to see where I buy my calcium/magnesium powder)
    3 TBS. coconut oil (Click to see where I buy my coconut oil)
    1/4 tsp. real salt (Click to see where I buy my real salt)
    1/4 tsp. baking soda (Click to see where I buy my baking soda)
    10 drops trace minerals (Click to see where I buy my trace minerals)
    20 drops OnGuard essential oil blend (Click to see where I buy essential oils)
    10 drops Peppermint essential oil (Click to see where I buy my essential oils)
    Stevia (to taste - go slow, a tiny bit can go a long way!) (Click to see where I buy Stevia)

Instructions

Mix all ingredients in a food processor until smooth (no more bumps).
    Store in a glass mason jar or a silicone squeeze tube (here's where I bought ming)) for up to 3 months.

===

http://www.smallfootprintfamily.com/homemade-toothpaste-recipe
Recipe:
Ingredients

3 Tbsp. baking soda (mild abrasive)
    1 Tbsp. finely ground sea salt (mild antibacterial, whitener and good for the gums)
    A few drops peppermint, spearmint, anise, clove or cinnamon bark essential oil, according to the taste you want (be sparing, they are very strong)(where to get essential oils online)
    1 tsp. xylitol or a few drops of liquid stevia (optional but highly recommended; xylitol helps prevent tooth decay naturally)
    1/2 tsp. finely ground dried sage (optional; sage is antimicrobial, but it has a strong taste)
    organic virgin coconut oil, softened but not liquified (where to find virgin coconut oil online)

Directions

Grind sea salt in a small coffee grinder, if needed, to make as powdery as possible.
    Mix all ingredients except the coconut oil to taste. You can stop at this stage and use this as a tooth powder if you wish.
    Mix in a teaspoon of coconut oil at a time until you find the right consistency for your paste.
    Put into a small, sealable jar or squeezable container and keep in a relatively cool place.
    Brush.
    Don’t forget to floss!

===

http://modernhippiehousewife.com/2014/04/24/homemade-coconut-oil-toothpaste/
Recipe:
Homemade Coconut Oil Toothpaste: An Oil-Pulling Alternative

Author: Modern Hippie Housewife
Ingredients

½ Cup Coconut Oil
    2-3 Tbsp Baking Soda
    1 Tbsp Xylitol, blended into a fine powder (plus more to taste)
    10 drops of Essential Oils (peppermint, cinnamon and orange are the yummiest)

Instructions

Melt the coconut oil on a low heat. I used a double-boiler method by putting the coconut oil in the glass jar that I use to store my toothpaste, and then placing the jar into a pan of lightly, simmering water.
    Remove from heat once melted, and stir in baking soda.
    In a coffee grinder or blender, blend the xylitol into a fine powder so that it easily dissolves.
    Add the xylitol--Feel free to add more if you'd like it sweeter.
    Add Essential oils.
    Once the mixture has solidified, give it another good stir (the baking soda may be settled on the bottom.)

Notes
To brush, wet your toothbrush, and dip it in the paste, or scoop a small amount on with a spoon if you want to avoid "double-dipping."

===

Final:  There are Many, Many recipes for homemade toothpaste on the internet.  My consideration is
planning on the availability of the ingredients if the supply infrastructure fails.  You will not be able to
buy many of the ingredients and must forage...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.