Home Page

Underground food storage

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Underground food storage
« on: November 22, 2016, 08:59:52 AM »
Good article with some videos and pictures showing how to make several types of underground food storage caches.

http://www.backdoorprepper.com/2016/11/21/underground-food-storage-root-cellars-and-food-caches

These vary from simple buried plastic barrels to full size rooms.  Depending on how much effort you want to expend an how much time you have to create the end result.

My thoughts on this vary from making many small caches (2 - 3 cubic feet) along my planned escape routes to making a larger root cellar at a final destination site.

Planning, Planning , Planning.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Underground food storage
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 08:32:31 AM »
While this source ( Mother Earth News(r) ) is not my first choice on prepper information, this article contains some good information, sans advertising, about in-ground winter food storage:

http://www.motherearthnews.com/diy/garden-yard/root-cellars-zm0z11zkon

Do note that this method would also work for making live food caches.  You might cache a crop of root vegies in an out-of-the-way spot and cover it with leaves and branches as camouflage.  DO NOT try this with store bought vegies as they are not likely to survive being re-buried after exposure while transported to stores.  Freshly harvested root crops are best for this method.

The storage time for live crops is limited to only a few winter months, but if you lack indoor storage space or refrigeration, this could save your food stores...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.