Home Page

Home Only-Aid Medical Kit

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Home Only-Aid Medical Kit
« on: March 07, 2022, 07:17:23 PM »
Attached is a .pdf of my article on setting up a medical kit for those times when there might not be any type of medical support infrastructure in existence. Even if medical facilities and supply infrastructures are nonexistent it is highly likely that trained medical personnel will still be around. Possibly in a prep group or as part of the general surviving population. Unfortunately, it has been my experience that even trained, working medical practitioners of many types tend to not have extensive medical kits of their own. Some do not even have much in the way of home first-aid kits and particularly first-aid kits in their vehicles. Yes, many do, but considering the number of people in medical professions, the number is pretty low.

For that reason I began to develop this list years ago as a reminder list primarily for when I was working on first-aid kits for myself and a couple of the groups I was assisting. As I observed more and more sets of circumstances during disaster situations and extrapolated some of those into the worst-case-scenario planning that I tend to do I began to add more categories as well as more individual items until the mid-80s when this version of the then extended first-aid kit list became the Home Only-Aid Medical Kit in its current form.

I have continued to add items as well as a couple of new categories since then as new products came onto the market and new experiences, observations, and real-world events had me considering even more things that fell under the overall concept.

The attachment is the most current version of the 'kit', though it is still a WIP (work-in-progress). Now, it is not a get one of everything kind of list. Not only would it cost a not inconsiderable fortune, but it would also take up quite a bit of space. Also, many of the items are not for use by those not trained in their use. Many can cause great harm if used by laypeople without the knowledge and training to use them properly.

Another aspect is that while many of the items can be used to possibly save a person's life, during and after a major event which results in the total breakdown of our modern society and there is no working medical infrastructure, saving a life may be only very temporary as there are so many situations where without modern medical care and extended support the victim will not survive anyway.

Triage, important in all major and many minor disasters is going to be even more important in situations leading up to and into a PAW (Post Apocalyptic World) situation that results in the only medical care available will be what the individual, family, and small groups can provide. That is not going to be sufficient for many major and some minor injuries and illnesses. There are times when making someone comfortable, and their family and friends is going to be not only the best choice, but the only choice.

There is also the rather painful truth that using consumable supplies for someone that is simply not going to make it could very well cost the life of someone else when those supplies would save them if they are still available. It is often better for a medical professional to make the decision than it is for family or friends. (Though certainly not always, as there are repercussions in those situations as well that can turn into serious conflicts within a group.) It is not going to be easy, but thinking about things like this now will make it easier, though that is not a good choice of words, if/when those decisions must be made.

Anyway, the list and information and opinions are in the attachment. Do your own due diligence research and decide what items you might want to add to existing equipment and supplies, considering what you think might occur, the timeframe, your budget, amount of medical knowledge and skills directly available to you, and what you consider might be available in various situations, and make your own choices.

And remember, I am not a doctor or any other kind of medical practitioner, and cannot take responsibility for anyone using the information in any way. Everything is just my opinion and the reader must take on the responsibility of how they use the information.

I welcome any comments, suggestions, and recommendations on how I might improve the list.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Re: Home Only-Aid Medical Kit
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2022, 10:45:07 AM »
As a suggestion: Page 12
Anti-fungal   topical   Tinactin cream (1% tolnaftate cream)
add  Miconazole Nitrate 2 % Antifungal Cream and if you can find it powder
add Clotrimazole 1% Antifungal Cream 1% and if you can find it powder
Some of these are also available as vaginal creams
Note the verbiage said add, not replace with, some strains are resistant to tolnaftate
In a PAW situation, if circumstances allow, expose infected area to sunlight and fresh air an hour a day

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Jerry D Young,
No reactions
WolfBrother

Most folks are happy being a part of the Great Shepherds Flock.
Some folks choose to be wolves and prey on the flock.
Some folks choose to defend the flock and confront the wolf.

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2022, 03:05:10 PM »
Thank you, WolfBrother. That is the kind of help I am looking to get to improve the list.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2022, 05:27:03 PM »
Wow, original answer was reduced to"I".

I have read thru  page 12.  I am doing so slowly and carefully.

Up to this point I have been very impressed by the breadth and depth of what has been presented.

As a FYI and a generality to all, if you think you have enough disposables like 4x4s and such; you don't.   

Finished the page you might want to add this to the burn rehydration:

Oral Rehydration Solution:

Table Salt (NaCl) 1/2 tsp.*
Salt Substitute (KCl) 1/2 tsp.*
Baking Soda 1/2 tsp.
Table Sugar 2 tablespoons
Tap Water 1 Liter (= 1 Qt. 2 tablespoons)

Chill. Can be served with fresh lemon squeezed into it. One can also mix it with Crystal Light or "sugar-free Kool-Aid" - don't use Regular Kool-Aid as it takes extra sugar which can worsen diarrhea.

This tastes quite salty to someone who isn't dehydrated.

NOTE: *Morton's makes that is half NaCl (table salt) and half Potassium salt (KCl) and is called "Lite Salt" - if that is what your grocery store has, simply use 1 teaspoon of the the Lite Salt in place of of the table salt and potassium salt.

I highly recommend
1) copying down this recipe and putting it where it'll be easy to find when you need it and
2) getting some potassium containing salt substitute--add it to your shopping list now so that it is there when you need it!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2022, 07:35:23 PM by WolfBrother »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Jerry D Young,
No reactions
WolfBrother

I am a SheepDog.

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2022, 08:20:34 PM »
Page 15
Dental Kit
I broke down and  bought one instead of making one. It will handle most basic dental needs a Prepper will be able to handle.
I am stocking up on the consumables.
The kit was not inexpensive $199 but it will work with all the books I have for Prep Dentistry.

Doom and Bloom FIRST AID KIT DENTAL GRAB N GO - https://store.doomandbloom.net/first-aid-kit-dental-grab-n-go/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Jerry D Young,
No reactions
WolfBrother

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2022, 01:35:31 PM »
Thank you for the additional feedback I will set things up so I can start making changes like these. I have quite a bit of additional information, as well, that I did not have a chance to include since I needed to at least something up.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2022, 02:04:07 PM »
The Oral Rehydration Solution base formula was one WHO had posted pre-Y2K.
I added the Lite Salt info when I found out about it.
I've read the rest and nothing caught my attention.

So I give you a Domino Nabisco on it.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Jerry D Young,
No reactions
WolfBrother

I am a SheepDog.

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2022, 05:02:24 PM »
As a thought, malt tablets seem to run a bit high. 

Hard shell covered malt balls might work as well and be significantly less expensive.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2022, 07:44:58 PM by WolfBrother »
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Jerry D Young,
No reactions
WolfBrother

I am a SheepDog.

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2022, 06:19:23 PM »
Thank you again.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2022, 10:15:15 PM »
I'll jump in an add a couple of cents worth, but that is all I can afford right now as we are increasing preps, donchaknow. 

The old standby medical references have been greatly superseded the past 20 years or so, especially the Red Cross stuff. On your references list #'s 1 and 8 are virtually redundant.

Ragnar's books are out of print and only high priced used copies are available, and better works are out there since.

Rather than any PDR a decent nursing drug handbook is of inestimable greater value and much more user friendly. PDRs are just the drug insert printed in a thick volume and practically require a degree in chemistry to make proper use of. The nursing drug handbooks (Springhouse, Mosby's, etc. etc.) offer understandable side effects lists, user precautions and much more.

As as as Survival and Austere Medicine, make sure it is the 3rd edition. About 400 pages more than the 2nd. The download is 100% free, and B/W hard-copies can be had for as little as $20 softcover.

I would add a general topical cream that can be found on line, and very cheap across the border if you can make it: Gelmicin. It is an antibiotic/antifungal/antiinflammatory (Gentamycin/Clotrimazole/Betamethasone) cream and can be found at gelmicin.com and elsewhere. Strictly OTC and works very well for preventing things that include surface MRSA from getting a foothold (via the Gentamycin).

Simple fungal infections, jock itch, small open wounds such as cuts, scrapes, pimples, etc, rashes and more: all respond well. It also does not seem to have the resistance factor that TAO does as Gentamycin isn't commonly used topically and the bugs just never encounter it. The Gent also does not have systemic affects like the IV form can, so no worries there.

I'll keep reading and offering tidbits as I go over time. But I would delete the snakebite kit; despite the common wisdom they do more harm than good.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2022, 02:04:39 PM »
Thank you, Reasonable Rascal. Your input is highly valued. Just the kind of thing I am looking for to improve and clarify the article.

I will make the changes after I have received more suggestions from you and others.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2022, 03:36:00 PM »
And I in turn thank you, Jerry, for your time and efforts over the years.

RR
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions