Home Page

Some of my thoughts on being homeless or pretending to be

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Some of my thoughts on being homeless or pretending to be
« on: February 11, 2022, 05:42:31 PM »
With the country's economic situation, my personal situation, and a whole slew of other things that are out of my control, I have been thinking about being homeless. I have come close a few times in the past, and though I am fairly secure at the moment, things can change so quickly now that I decided that I needed to start thinking about the possibility of either becoming homeless through no real fault of my own or choosing to give up where I live and living as a homeless person until I decide what to do. There are a couple of reasons that would cause me to choose to be homeless rather than staying where I am or going to family or a friend's place, or using a hotel/motel, or heading up into the hills to just camp out.

None of them are likely, but I am a prepper and have been for all of my adult life and most of my teen years. So, I think it is better to have a plan, have some key items available, and get ready ahead of time, just in case.

So, the attachment has some of my thoughts on living a homeless life, as well as a couple of other subjects that could or might be applicable. Plus I am too lazy to strip that stuff out.

Just my opinion.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)

Offline beorn

Re: Some of my thoughts on being homeless or pretending to be
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2022, 08:17:33 PM »
Ive technically been homeless a few times in my life and some of those times were the best times of my life. Y2K living out of a van near San Diego going climbing every weekend no mortgage and little other commitments or expenses. it was a good time.

Jerry I think it is in Percies Mission but you wrote about a homeless guy living in a culvert on a construction site this was one of the best illustrations of why prepping can be for anyone. You don't need lots of money but with some knowledge and common sense you can still survive TEOTWAWKI.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
Jerry D Young,
No reactions

Offline Jerry D Young

• Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Some of my thoughts on being homeless or pretending to be
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2022, 11:31:29 AM »

Thank you, beorn.

I do not think I put it in the article, but I was thinking about it recently (part of the reason I brought it up) and actually to a friend that has been homeless for the last three years. I believe that if it looked like I might be forced to become homeless I would go ahead and clear out the apartment, put almost everything in storage, and just do it. Save or use the money that I would be saving on rent while I still had the income coming in to improve my abilities and safety without a set place to live.

I do have several places I can go if I have to give up the apartment, but depending on just exactly what is going on I might not be able to get to one of them, or they could not take me in, or I might just decide to live out on my own. At least for a while.

I am not one to wait until the food runs out to start a garden, or wait until I am totally out of water before getting more, or just about anything else where I can know that something is going to happen and just wait for it to happen before I do whatever it is I need to do to correct or deal with the situation. I do it as soon as possible so there is no interruption in the activity, whatever it is.

And it is Percy's Mission that has the homeless guy as one of the characters that must deal with a major disaster and the nuclear war.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Members reacted like:
beorn,
No reactions
Jerry D Young

Prepare for the worst and hope for the best, and always remember TANSTAAFL

(TANSTAAFL - There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch - Robert A. Heinlein)