Home Page

Article - How To Raise Rabbits From A to Z

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - How To Raise Rabbits From A to Z
« on: June 20, 2018, 11:33:59 AM »
A lengthy article with many points about raising rabbits as food sources.  Includes a good list of possible health problems (rabbits are noted for being prone to health failures.)

https://www.thesurvivalistblog.net/raising-rabbits/

I've raised rabbits myself and did run into some of the health problems: ear mites, treated with iodine wash and Aloa Vera.  I also lost one rabbit from an undiagnosed ailment.

Rabbits are good food and tasty, but LOW IN FAT.  Remember this because it is known as "rabbit starvation" when too much rabbit protein is in the diet and not enough fats are consumed from other sources.

Housing for rabbits is very simple and doesn't take much space.

Rabbits are also notorious for being easily disturbed, particularly when they have young kits in the nest.  They like to be in a quiet area and do not like to be frightened by too much human traffic around their cages.  Mother rabbits are know to eat their young when either frightened or not getting enough food to eat.

My rabbits did like the occasional treat of fresh greens from the garden, but I've read that this is not recommended if done too frequently.  I used commercial rabbit pellets and allowed them to eat until full.  They are like cats in this respect and mine did not overeat.

Water is a necessity, do not let them run out.  DO USE a rabbit watering device and not an open pan.  They WILL tip a pan over and spill that water.

Finally, rabbit feces are GREAT fertilizer!  It has low smell and can be side dressed around plants without needing to be composted first.  DO arrange rabbit cages so that the fecal pellets can fall through the cage bottom and dry out.

I could go on, but read the article instead.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.