Home Page

Article - What you Should be Adding to Your Compost Pile

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Article - What you Should be Adding to Your Compost Pile
« on: June 18, 2018, 12:23:43 AM »
I wish I could do this in our apartment, but composting does produce some aromas...  Outside, they are good smells, indoors... Not so much.

http://www.theprepperjournal.com/2018/06/16/adding-compost-pile/

If you don't want to buy bone meal (or the situation means you cannot), then your can boil your bones to make broth (save and eat that) and grind the de-fatted bones to at least gravel size or smaller.  Good Calcium source and much less likely to attract animals which might dig up your garden or compost bed.

If you are able to collect vegetable matter from outside sources, BE SURE that it has not been sprayed with either herbicides or insecticides...  It is always better to use your own plant matter, known to be free of harmful chemicals (some "chemicals" are good, like Calcium Carbonate, Calcium Sulphate and saltpeter (Sodium Nitrate) ).  I hope you know about the problems being discovered about some agricultural chemicals like Monsanto's Roundup (Glyphosate)...  If not, do some research not, while you have access to the 'net.

Collecting plant matter from the side of the road is NOT a good idea because of exhaust fumes.  We don't use much lead in gasoline anymore, but it is still present along the roads.  Stay back at least 50 feet to collect plant matter which is to be composted.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.

Offline TWP

• Opinionated and Willing to "Discuss" it.
Re: Article - What you Should be Adding to Your Compost Pile
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2018, 12:33:09 AM »
I want to add this article because it is relevant:

Title:  My view on Homestead Herbicide Usage

http://thepossumridgefarms.com/blog/my-view-on-homestead-herbicide-usage/

I think this is worth reading, whether you have a garden/farm or not...

Let me also point out that the large agricultural chemical manufacturer, Monsanto, has been bought by Bayer Chemicals (of Aspirin fame).  The brand name Monsanto has been dropped, like the proverbial hot potato and is being buried because of very bad press, mostly related to the Roundup (Glyphosate) problems, but there are other agri-chemicals which also are getting negative reports...  Do your research...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
dislike
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Remember:  Google(r) is NOT your friend, use another search engine which DOES NOT track your online activity.